Noob with vtec problems

I have a 2003 acura mdx that we've owned for 2 years. It's probably one of the best cars we've had but in the last 6 months the mpg's have dropped off significantly. It went from getting 22-25 to 15-20. When it's cold it can be a hard start and it idles like it's missing. I've tried to reset the computer but it's made no difference. I live in a small town and I've taken it to multiple mechanics and they always hook it up to their computers looking for codes and find nothing. The car has about 140k miles on it and I'm trying to avoid the dealer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well here might be a couple of potential factors:

- You may have some carbon build up on your engine (consider high quality engine oil fuel cleaners and then within a months full oil change and solenoid screen cleaning)

- "Ethanol" - federaly mandated by the EPA up to 10% at the pump. This additive actually decreases fuel effiency 5 to 20% but claims to keep a cleaner environment. Newer cars handle the effiency changes better obviously.

- Have you had your car tuned up lately?

Archived