93 accord SE, engine trouble

phychotron

so i bought the car about 7000 miles ago and it's had a minor problem with the idle, when cruising at 70mph in cruise control it would just drop a few hundred rpm's for a second or two then go back, maybe do it again, but then usually it would only act up maybe once or twice on a five hour drive.

also the idle would sometimes drop a little when waiting at a light, which happened more regularly in the last month or so, and even stalling out a little when making turns. When i first got the car it had that problem of stalling out, but the guy who sold it to me didn't realize that you need to replace your spark plugs from time to time and it went away. i replaced them and recently checked them, they're gapped at .045 i believe.

until recently when i was cruising along at 70 in cruise control, the engine was sputtering with power between a few hundred rpms, 3100 down to 2600, id compare it to like when your going fast and you hit a puddle of water and your car slows down a little, but then returns to normal when your back on pavement. so it started sputtering like that for a minute, then went away. I had to slow down to make the left onto another highway (all in the middle of no where on a sunday around midnight) and it stalled out.

I got it started and was about three miles down the road doing 70 in cruise control when the car started loosing power, no response from the pedal and I eventually was sitting on the side of the road. Car wouldnt start, got towed back home and was talking to my cousin who used to be into honda's suggested that it might be the coil or the igniter, which i replaced. from what i could tell there was no spark when i pulled the plugs even after the coil/igniter, but as i cranked it over with the third one it it started to sound like it was turning over, and i put it back in and eventually got it to crank over and start, and it ran fine, until i gave it some gas and it sputters at first but rev's fine, runs at normal rpm's, ~1300 in park, 900 in drive, but when i release the brake, the car dies.

sometime when cranking it can take awhile, othertimes it will crank right over like normal, but still not driveable. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Archived