New/old fart from the SoCal Desert

DustyMojave

New to this forum, But not entirely new to Hondas. I've been around motorsports all my life. I do Tech Inspection at offroad car races, something i started doing at the age of 7 with my folks. I'm a professional fabricator. I'm no kid now. When I was in High School, a Honda car was an N600.

In the late 90s, a couple of friends and I got together and formed a group we called "XXX Promotions" to put on an event we called "A Day On The Track" at Willow Springs Raceway. It was intended to be for Hondas and other imports, but was also open to Mustangs/Corvettes, etc. We had safety crews, driving instructors, tow trucks, etc. lined up. The track management had refused our offer of an advance deposit. Then 2-1/2 weeks before the event was to happen, we were told they had given the date to someone else who paid a deposit!

On to current time...I needed some cheap transpo in a hurry because my wife has been complaining about the ride in my DD Baja Bug...Full cage/5-point harnesses/no sound deadening/noisy/no radio/no heat ( a real drag when you leave the house at 5:30AM and the air temp is 15 degrees!) or AC (it gets above 120 at times here) /to get someone like our 17 year old son into the single back seat, you have to pull the quick release pins and lift the shoulder bar with front shoulder harness and slide the right seat all the way forward, which is a PITA/etc....

101_7775.jpg

The Toyota pre-run pickup didn't flip her switch either. Long Travel suspension with coilovers rides smooth, and the heat and AC work, the 3-point belts are easier to use; but it's tough to reach up to get her 5' 2" up into the truck. And the 22RE engine is now a 2-cylinder waiting to get rebuilt.

100_0061.jpg

So the Baja is the DD. On-road registered and capable, but not comfy or really practical. We were shopping for a passenger car something like the 85 Civic S Hatch we bought new in 84. We loved that car until my wife totaled it in 1990 and the insurance company went bankrupt before we got paid.

Then the engine in the Baja lost oil pressure and the crank started clunking on the way home from work 40 miles away the other evening. So we're without a car!

Shopping online, then I had a friend haul me around to look at what I found online. Wound up buying a 94 Civic coupe. It's had some minor body scrapes and been re-painted over sanding scratches. Lots of little details need fixing, but I wasn't expecting anything showroom ready. Some of the issues I could use a little info or maybe some help from some people who are more familiar with fixing and maintaining Hondas. So here I am. Photos of the Civic will follow. So will updates to the signature and avatar and whatever else goes with being new to this forum.

Welcome to the forums man.

90's hondas are great cars. They run forever with a little engine oil and a timing belt change every 80k and thats about it!

Archived