My Del Sol has problems

Wi Dave

I have a 93 Del Sol Auto with two issues

1) The fuel pump takes up to 10 minutes to kick on when the car is wet. Dry out the fuel pump turns on right away and the car starts right up and run great. Once the car starts it run great.

2)Vibration when slowly accelerating from say 65 up. Below 65 the car is smooth. Had the tied rods and boots replaced. Seems a little better but did not effect the vibration above 65. I am leaning towards transmission as the tach is all over the place but has been since 75K Car does not slip accelerates hard. As soon as I let off the gas the vibration goes away.

The car is lowered but did not have issue until recently. Has 126,000 miles

I would venture to say your first problem (fuel pump) isn't actually the pump itself. But the fuel pump relay instead. You can test the relay to see if it's any good. As for your second problem: Do you think your tires need to be balanced? It could be as simple as that.... you never know....

Check to see if you've got a buckled wheel...

My sol's steering wheel was vibrating when going about 60+, thought it was the wheel that needed balancing, found out one of the front wheels was pretty damn buckled!

But did your vibration go away the second you let off the gas? I changed the tires and rims today and drove it but the road was so rough in Wisconsin I could not tell if there was a difference I may have to wait till I go back to work there is a smooth stretch on the way there.

There should be an online tech manual for the Del Sol. There is a fuel section which explains how the fuel pump works. I tried to attach the PDF but was unsuccessful. Basically what it said was the fuel pump relay consists of 2 relays. The first one turns on the ECM and everything except the pump itself. When the first relay turns on makes the second relay come on and it energizes the fuel pump. Relays tend to stick and they're much cheaper than replacing the fuel pump so I'd look into replacing the relay...

I have a 93 Del Sol Auto with two issues

1) The fuel pump takes up to 10 minutes to kick on when the car is wet. Dry out the fuel pump turns on right away and the car starts right up and run great. Once the car starts it run great.

2)Vibration when slowly accelerating from say 65 up. Below 65 the car is smooth. Had the tied rods and boots replaced. Seems a little better but did not effect the vibration above 65. I am leaning towards transmission as the tach is all over the place but has been since 75K Car does not slip accelerates hard. As soon as I let off the gas the vibration goes away.

The car is lowered but did not have issue until recently. Has 126,000 miles

My link

link to pics of my del sol

Archived