Shift Indicator Problemst

I drive a 2000 Automatic Honda Passport...

Sometimes when I turn the truck on the shift indicator light for park doesnt come on and even when put it into gear the light remains off. If I drive like that the car jerks when shifting into 3rd gear both ways so Ive been just restarting it over and over until the shift indicator lights do come on.

I took it to the shop when this first started happening, but they couldnt find a problem (it wasnt present when i got there).

Any ideas/thoughts/comments?!

Thanks in advance...

J.

I drive a 2000 Automatic Honda Passport...

Sometimes when I turn the truck on the shift indicator light for park doesnt come on and even when put it into gear the light remains off. If I drive like that the car jerks when shifting into 3rd gear both ways so Ive been just restarting it over and over until the shift indicator lights do come on.

I took it to the shop when this first started happening, but they couldnt find a problem (it wasnt present when i got there).

Any ideas/thoughts/comments?!

Thanks in advance...

J.

That's a tough call buddy my best advice in a situation like that is bring it to like an autozone or the dealership and have them pull codes off the ecu and see if anything comes up

That's a tough call buddy my best advice in a situation like that is bring it to like an autozone or the dealership and have them pull codes off the ecu and see if anything comes up

I had meineke do that and they didnt find anything... Problem is I never know when it is or isnt gong to be present.

Got this reply in another forum:

"There is a range mode sensor on the side of transmission where the shifter cable attaches to. These are known to have problems after awhile. Sometimes removing and carefully disassembling and cleaning it will do the trick. Relube the contacts with new dielectric grease."

Archived