Front end noise 1991 DX hatchback.

albion

I have a 1991 Honda Civic DX Hatch (all original and all stock) with a strange noise coming from the driver side front wheel. It sounds like something is handing down and rubbing on the tire. It occurs consistently the same on every revolution of the wheel. I've checked in the wheel well thoroughly and see nothing hanging down. I've listened while pushing the car forward and backward slowly and I can hear a drawn out rubbing sound every revolution. Unfortunately I can't pinpoint exactly where it's coming from. While I am driving the noise is more profound, but still more of a rubbing then a knock. While I'm accelerating the noise mostly goes away. When I'm breaking the noise goes away completely. When I push in the clutch and coast the noise is most prominent. Sounds to me like the noise is least profound when there's torque on the wheel. Are there any common problems with this vehicle and year? Could it be a u-joint in the axle? I'd like to get an idea of what else to look or listen for in order to diagnose this problem.

Thanks for your help.

-al

I have a 1991 Honda Civic DX Hatch (all original and all stock) with a strange noise coming from the driver side front wheel. It sounds like something is handing down and rubbing on the tire. It occurs consistently the same on every revolution of the wheel. I've checked in the wheel well thoroughly and see nothing hanging down. I've listened while pushing the car forward and backward slowly and I can hear a drawn out rubbing sound every revolution. Unfortunately I can't pinpoint exactly where it's coming from. While I am driving the noise is more profound, but still more of a rubbing then a knock. While I'm accelerating the noise mostly goes away. When I'm breaking the noise goes away completely. When I push in the clutch and coast the noise is most prominent. Sounds to me like the noise is least profound when there's torque on the wheel. Are there any common problems with this vehicle and year? Could it be a u-joint in the axle? I'd like to get an idea of what else to look or listen for in order to diagnose this problem.

Thanks for your help.

-al

Maybe the wheel bearings

Archived