91' No Spark

centrix

I have a 1991 Honda accord with 150k miles. This weekend, I was driving it and it just STALLED. No noises, etc. Just STALLED.

I checked the plugs and they were trenched in oil. It looks like the oil is just coming from the valve cover gasket.

I replaced the plugs and tightend them down.. It didnt start. I took th plugs out and I am not even getting a spark.

When it turns over, It sounds normal.

the distibutor cap was fine. The ignition coil had ressisitions from the (-) to (+) and from the (-) to the highoutput.

What could eb wrong??

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jason

Could be a timing belt..Remove the distributor cap and crank the engine and see if the the rotor turns or remains stationary..If it doesn't move it's the timing belt..Don't work too much about the oil by the spark plugs that can be taken care of with a new valve cover gasket with new rubber O rings for the spark plugs.

If you can turn the rotor by hand then the timing belt is broken.. To answer your question about changing the timing belt yourself, it depends upon your mechanical abilities.. It's not that hard of a job, however, it's located in a tight space (driver side wheel well).. You will need to remove the timing belt cover (easy job about 6 bolts) and then remove the Crankshaft bolt. Removing this bolt can be a real bear because its torqued on there REAL tight (110 ft lbs) and you will need to prevent the engine from rotating by inserting a HD screwdriver or cold steel chisel into the flywheel to prevent the crankshaft from turning..When installing the new timing belt your camshaft and crankshaft pulley marks need to be alaigned. Unless your pretty good mechanically I would strongly recommend that you have a shop do the work. The timing belt along with a balance shaft belt is inexpensive. The cost of the job is all in labor...

Archived