CKP issues

clos891

I did a swap on a 96 Accord DX (F22B2) to a JDM 94-95 F22B that I bought on line. My issue is the car will crank but will not start and I'm more than possitive that its due to the CKP not being hooked up. On the B2 motor the CKP sensor was down by the crank and on the JDM motor the sensor is found in the distributor. I want to know if there is any way to trick the computer into thinking that the CKP is hooked up or if I buy the distributor for the JDM motor can I connect it to the connector where the B2 CKP sensor connects to (or wire it there) to give the computer the signal it needs to start the car?

!!!PLEASE HELP!!!

:.(

I have read about a few choices given the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor is found mounted to the Oil Pump.

1. You can use your US Oil Pump, though I have not confirmed that this is possible or of anyone that has done this.

2. You can obtain the JDM ECU that doesn't need the CKP sensor, but see #3.

3. You can obtain an pre-1995 (OBD-I) ECU that doesn't use a CKP sensor. This is also against the law with an OBD-II vehicle.

4. You can tie the CKP sensor into the Camshaft Pulley (CYP) sensor, so the ECU "sees" the same induced current coming from the CYP at the CKP pins. I have seen a few threads on this and see that it can be problematic. For one, I know the camshaft only turns once for every four turns of the crankshaft. If the ECU is looking for one full rotation of the crankshaft at each CKP pulse, then pulses from the CYP will arrive at one-quarter the correct frequency. I have read a few threads where this works, some where this does not.

I have read about a few choices given the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor is found mounted to the Oil Pump.

1. You can use your US Oil Pump, though I have not confirmed that this is possible or of anyone that has done this.

2. You can obtain the JDM ECU that doesn't need the CKP sensor, but see #3.

3. You can obtain an pre-1995 (OBD-I) ECU that doesn't use a CKP sensor. This is also against the law with an OBD-II vehicle.

4. You can tie the CKP sensor into the Camshaft Pulley (CYP) sensor, so the ECU "sees" the same induced current coming from the CYP at the CKP pins. I have seen a few threads on this and see that it can be problematic. For one, I know the camshaft only turns once for every four turns of the crankshaft. If the ECU is looking for one full rotation of the crankshaft at each CKP pulse, then pulses from the CYP will arrive at one-quarter the correct frequency. I have read a few threads where this works, some where this does not.

Where is the CYP located?

• 3 weeks later...

The Cylinder Position (CYP) sensor is located inside the Distributor; the Orange and White wires

My bad, it is cylinder position, not camshaft pulley.

It did not work for me I also tried connecting the CKP with the CYP but it didn't work either, what are other option I may be able to try? Would swaping the ECM to a 94-95 work? I know there are 3 connectors in that one and there are 4 in mine.

It did not work for me I also tried connecting the CKP with the CYP but it didn't work either, what are other option I may be able to try? Would swaping the ECM to a 94-95 work? I know there are 3 connectors in that one and there are 4 in mine.

Sorry to hear that it didn't work. Ideally, you should see about getting a distributor that has the sensors you need.

Switching to OBD-I can be done, but is also illegal, so I've heard. If you have emissions inspections, they will know you have the wrong ECU when they connect to your car.

See if there are other distributors you can use that would have the sensor you need; I would check with Preludes first.

I did a search on "F22B CKP" and found good info from a reputable source: GhostAccord.

He said use the 1994-95 Accord Distributor on the JDM F22B. The 1994-95 Accord's OBD-I distributor will have all the sensors your ECU is looking for.

You can read more about it here: http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2422902

I would suggest getting the OBD-I Distributor pig-tails from a salvage yard so you can re-wire your engine sub-harness properly. Looks like an easy solution to your problem, have FUN!

I did a search on "F22B CKP" and found good info from a reputable source: GhostAccord.

He said use the 1994-95 Accord Distributor on the JDM F22B. The 1994-95 Accord's OBD-I distributor will have all the sensors your ECU is looking for.

You can read more about it here: http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2422902

I would suggest getting the OBD-I Distributor pig-tails from a salvage yard so you can re-wire your engine sub-harness properly. Looks like an easy solution to your problem, have FUN!

This is awesome thank you so much I will let you know if it works!

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so the distributor trick didn't work for me so I did the oil pump swap and mounted the CKP sensor on it and it worked! now I only have a few minor things to fix and the car will be finished thanks for the help I greatly appreciate it!

Archived