new head gasket/ coolant leak

mgrommel19

Just replaced the head gasket on my 92 accord F22A1. Torqued everything to specs. One thing, did reuse ONE head bolt because honda didn't send me all that I needed and it's in the same area as the leak. Can't tell if the leak is coming from the intake manifold or head gasket...replaced the intake manifold gasket and still....leaks. Also I noticed oil when I pulled my plug wires...didn't have this problem before. Think that might be caused by the Valve cover tube seals that I didn't replace? I have two new head bolts that I am going to put in in the area where the leak is and retorque all bolts....any thoughts on all this?

Just replaced the head gasket on my 92 accord F22A1. Torqued everything to specs. One thing, did reuse ONE head bolt because honda didn't send me all that I needed and it's in the same area as the leak. Can't tell if the leak is coming from the intake manifold or head gasket...replaced the intake manifold gasket and still....leaks. Also I noticed oil when I pulled my plug wires...didn't have this problem before. Think that might be caused by the Valve cover tube seals that I didn't replace? I have two new head bolts that I am going to put in in the area where the leak is and retorque all bolts....any thoughts on all this?

just a question but i dont think the intake manifold gasket would have anything to do with coolant......well iam 99.9% sure but i have not replaced a head gasket. but are you sure that the head is not cracked somewere bc that is something eles you need to check for really well

ps it can also be a warped deck or cylinder head

^^ good thinking didnt think about that

here is my question what cause you to have to change it in the first place and what were you doing when you founded out and what gave you the clue maybe then we can help a little more

If you did not, then you should have checked the head to see if it was warped. That can cause it to leak even after a new head gasket. Also when you torqued the head bolts I assume you went in steps (i.e. first torqued them to around 25 ft lbs, then increasing to around 40 and then final torque). Also I assume you followed the torque pattern for the head bolts. Using old bolts should not make a difference as long as they are clean. I assume you saturated the bolts with clean motor oil prior to installing (that helps keep the torque even). At the shop we never use new bolts.

A warped head (it does not have to be off by much), warped block (less likely), craked head or block and gaskets can all cause your problem. If you have the gasket on backwards that usually wont cause it to leak, but it will block the oil ports and not allow oil to reach the cam assembly. Check around all the gaskets such as the thermostat etc.

I recommend you clean the engine up real good and let it dry well. Then run the car and watch it closely. Good luck.

Archived