19MM Crankshaft Pulley Bolt STUCK - Recs? ('93)

brockman

Howdy All,

I'm looking for recommendations on removing a stuck Crankshaft pulley bolt. Am doing a (supposedly) straightforward water-pump / timing+balancer belt replace on a '93 Accord DX. I successfully allen wrench jammed the flywheel in place and now am having one HECK of a time trying to remove the 19MM pulley bolt that secures the pulley to the end of the crankshaft. I've already destroyed 2 screwdrivers that were not manly enough to hold the flywheel in place due to the massive amount of pressure I have been placing on the bolt head.

Any tips?

Is there any sort of fluid / spray that might permeate thru the bolt threads to loosen the hold?

Do these bolts ever seize hard?

More torque?

At what point do I drill it out + replace? (which I really don't want to do)

Thanks in Advance,

Taylor

This bolt is torqued on greater than 120 ft pounds.. Because of this it is very difficult to remove. You are correct you will NOT be able to use a screwdriver to hold the flywheel from turning..You will need to jam an allen wrench or cold steel chisel into the flywheel to keep it from turning.. To remove the bolt use a LARGE Breaker Bar (for torque) with a heavy duty 19 mm socket..You will then need to smack the breaker bar with a hammer to loosen the bolt. Remember when putting the 19mm bolt back to tighten it up very well..You do NOT want the bolt to come loose..

• 1 year later...

Easiest thing to do when tightening the bolt back in, wedge a breaker bar against the ground, and bump the key a few times. It works if you don't have the tool that will keep the pulley from turning.

Archived