Acura Cl 3.0 1999 suddenly shut off

Hi all,

I was driving on the freeway today and my car suddenly lost all power for about .5 seconds and then resumed as if normal. About 10 minutes later the car completely shut off with nothing working at all. The emergency blinkers wouldn't even turn on. I pulled off to the side and restarted the car with no problem. It ran normally for the next 30 minutes until I reached home. The car has about 160k miles on it and I do maintain it well mechanically. Any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Hi all,

I was driving on the freeway today and my car suddenly lost all power for about .5 seconds and then resumed as if normal. About 10 minutes later the car completely shut off with nothing working at all. The emergency blinkers wouldn't even turn on. I pulled off to the side and restarted the car with no problem. It ran normally for the next 30 minutes until I reached home. The car has about 160k miles on it and I do maintain it well mechanically. Any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Recall on the ignition switch..

You can check this with a known working unit. You don't even have to take apart your steering column, just take the known working unit, insert your key in the ignition to transmit to the receiver unit and open the immobilizer relay, then plug the known working unit in at the top of the fuse box (brown plug, big white wire, big yellow wire), then work the known working unit by hand. The car should start and not have any problem keeping the car running.

However, I am pretty sure your ignition switch is fine.

See, the ignition switch has nothing to do with the Hazard Lights Relay. You need to inspect/replace either the Battery Negative Cable or Battery Positive Cable; one or both are corroded.

Archived