'93 Accord - Knocking at Idle?

93accordmich

Hey everyone!

I just bought my first Honda. I've been with GM since my first car (I've owned three total) and every one I've had has had mechanical issues within the first 5k miles.

I recently purchased a '93 Accord (quite an adjustment from a '99 Alero) and I'm loving it so far. It has a new water pump, new plugs and wires, new exhaust, new distributor, tires, and brakes. 180k miles on the 2.2. I paid $950 for it, and it has very little rust, and the interior is what you'd expect to see from a dealership.

Anyway. My problem, which I'm reallly hoping isn't one requiring immediate repair.

Whenever my Accord is idling at normal speed, it has a sort of "knocking" sound. I've seen cars with actual rod knocks, and I don't think that is the case. The knocking goes away when I press the gas pedal at all. And the knocking isn't terribly loud... just kind of annoying.

Anyone have an idea about what this might be?

Since this is your first Honda, I emplore you to have someone confirm this sound for you. Be sure you are not confusing a tap with a knock. Use the Hood Prop (having someone hold the hood for you) against the part of your skull behind your ear, while plugging your ears, to find the source of the noise.

Knocking is typically a spun Crankshaft Bearing, but a spun bearing usually makes noise when the throttle is applied and quiets down at idle which makes me think you have something else going on.

Since this is your first Honda, I emplore you to have someone confirm this sound for you. Be sure you are not confusing a tap with a knock. Use the Hood Prop (having someone hold the hood for you) against the part of your skull behind your ear, while plugging your ears, to find the source of the noise.

Knocking is typically a spun Crankshaft Bearing, but a spun bearing usually makes noise when the throttle is applied and quiets down at idle which makes me think you have something else going on.

No. The noise stops COMPLETELY when ANY throttle is applied.. even a little. I read something about "piston slap," could it be anything like that? Also, I could take a video if it helps. lol.

No. The noise stops COMPLETELY when ANY throttle is applied.. even a little. I read something about "piston slap," could it be anything like that? Also, I could take a video if it helps. lol.

Try and determine if it is a high end or low end noise (i.e. top of engine or bottom). You can also use a large (say 1.5 inch dia.) section of rubber hose. Hold to one ear, plug the other and have someone else move the hose to different areas of the engine (i.e. valve cover, upper t-belt and lower t-belt cover. If it seems to be a low end noise you can try stepping up to a 10w30 oil instead of the 5w30 and most of the time that will take care of the slack in the crank bearing enough so you notice a change in the noise. If that is the case then most likely there is play in the crank bearing(s). If it is a high end noise check your valve adjustments. If they are out adjust, if they are all in tollerance then try and find some BG44K injector cleaner and add that to the tank when it is only about 1/4 full and run the car until it is almost out of gas as there could be excessive carbon build up and that will help remove it.

The only other thing that comes to mind right now is excessive slack in the t-belt causing the noise. If that is the issue then that is a quick fix since you wont have to remove any of the covers.

Good luck and post back with your findings. I am not on the site that often anymore but maybe James or others can help you more if you respond.

One more thing. My car has always had a slight miss, so I went to check the plugs, and two had a blue residue/buildup. Another one had a green residue/buildup. I cleaned them a bit, now it runs like new. What could this be?

That could be alot of things. A few things come to mind, but they are because I am a chemist and likely have nothing to do with your issue. Check them again in a week, pull them out, inspect them and put them back.

• 1 month later...

My 93 SE (bought used in November '09) has a knock that is worse when it's cold. It does get quieter when the outside temp is warmer, and as the engine warms up. But, it's still there, though softer.

It quit on me yesterday. Had it towed to the nearest dealer. They ran compression check and 2 of 4 cylinders were leaking down pretty quickly. They indicated probably stuck or burned exhaust valves on those 2 cylinders.

What I don't know is, which model engine this one has. I have been able to determine it's a 2.2L 4 cyl, 140 hp. That's about it. Wondering if it's single or dual overhead cam, what's the model number of that engine? I think I need to start looking around for replacement heads. The dealer, assuming 2 bad valves, is going to try to tug about $1200 out of my nearly empty wallet for a head job. The car's barely worth that much.

Anyone have the specifics on that motor?

thx

Archived