93 Tranny problems

cardude81

First of all as you all can see i am new here, and sort of new to hondas as well, but am mechanically inclined....

a buddy of mine recently bought a '93 accord for dirt cheap. All he has to do is buy an alternator, no big deal. i agreed to help out getting everything in order. But it also has another problem. The transmission was recently replaced and when driving it starts in second gear and you manually have to shift it up to 3rd and 4th. it is automatic. also the sport/eco light on the speedo is always on.

my only guess is something with vacuum lines or theres some sort of harness that was just forgotten and never got plugged in.

maybe drop the pan and clean the vavle body? but on a replacement tranny??

any ideas?

any suggestion is really appreciated thank you.

First of all as you all can see i am new here, and sort of new to hondas as well, but am mechanically inclined....

a buddy of mine recently bought a '93 accord for dirt cheap. All he has to do is buy an alternator, no big deal. i agreed to help out getting everything in order. But it also has another problem. The transmission was recently replaced and when driving it starts in second gear and you manually have to shift it up to 3rd and 4th. it is automatic. also the sport/eco light on the speedo is always on.

my only guess is something with vacuum lines or theres some sort of harness that was just forgotten and never got plugged in.

maybe drop the pan and clean the vavle body? but on a replacement tranny??

any ideas?

any suggestion is really appreciated thank you.

It sounds maybe like what I had trouble with. The transmission control module. If you go to Honda, it is gonna cost close to 1000.00 (yes one thousand) to get the part, plus installation. I just bought one through a place in Miami for less than 200.00.

If you want to try something on the cheap I would take the shift solenoids off and physically clean the screens, drain the trany fluid and replace. See if there are any changes and if so but not perfect run the car more and replace the fluid again. You are only taking a little less the 3 quarts out each time you change it and that is just a fraction of what is in there (the torque converter etc. holds a lot of fluid).

If there are no codes I would certainly start with the filter screens. Again it costs little to do this and it is a likely source of your problem.

Good luck.

thanks for the response guys...

ive done some research and came across the TCM and how a lot of them are prone to failure.

im not sure how the year-by-year goes with these cars, i think the tranny is from a different year, maybe newer. I know i dont really have too much authority here not knowing this kind of information. but i will have a look at the shift solenoids too. is there a way to open the TCM and see if anything is fried?

Archived