tryna build my 98 hatch..need some help

hey everybody! so im new to the racing scene and id like to build my ek hatch. need some help deciding with whats the best motor i can fit into it without sacrificing anything(a/c, power steering, etc.) id greatly appreciate the suggestions. thank u and aloha.

Whats your budget and are you going to build it for boost or N/A?

I'd say 10g to 20g and I'm pretty sure for boost. all my friends cars are boosted.

not sure about shooting nos. don't know much about it if it's dangerous or if it's a handful to upkeep.

like to know more about it to. don't know what would be the best motor for me.

Well damn if you have that much money i would say a K20 but I don't think you'll still have AC.

Other than that, a more common and direct bolt in motor would be a B18.

Check out hmotorsonline.com for pricing. They have complete swaps with everything you need.

Well damn if you have that much money i would say a K20 but I don't think you'll still have AC.

Other than that, a more common and direct bolt in motor would be a B18.

Check out hmotorsonline.com for pricing. They have complete swaps with everything you need.

I was looking at the k20.

but I can't find a complete swap.

so I won't be able to keep my a/c huh?

I was thinking about transfering my battery into the trunk.

where the spare tire should be.

would that make enough room for the k20 motor?

thanks for the website. I'll check that out.

I'm not positive about the AC part but this thread there is an extensive k20 swap.

http://www.hondaforums.com/index.php?/topic/26294-k20-swap/

You should definitely check it out. I know its not your car, but a lot will be the same.

Cranny is one of the most knowledgeable people on here. If you have any questions he can certainly answer them.

I would say the best motor to choose is the k20a or the k24a2. The k20a is the motor that goes in the 02 honda integra type r with 220 hp and 150 trq. The k24a2 goes in the acura tsx with 200 hp and 166 trq. Another way you could do the k24 is buy a k24a1 block and put the k24a2 head on it. The k20a will be way more expensive than the k24. Either one would be a great swap do boost in yours.

I'm not positive about the AC part but this thread there is an extensive k20 swap.

http://www.hondaforums.com/index.php?/topic/26294-k20-swap/

You should definitely check it out. I know its not your car, but a lot will be the same.

Cranny is one of the most knowledgeable people on here. If you have any questions he can certainly answer them.

alright. well thanks for your help.

I would say the best motor to choose is the k20a or the k24a2. The k20a is the motor that goes in the 02 honda integra type r with 220 hp and 150 trq. The k24a2 goes in the acura tsx with 200 hp and 166 trq. Another way you could do the k24 is buy a k24a1 block and put the k24a2 head on it. The k20a will be way more expensive than the k24. Either one would be a great swap do boost in yours.

for either of the 2 motors?

will I have to sacrifice anything for the swap?

for either of the 2 motors?

will I have to sacrifice anything for the swap?

No you will not have to sacrafice anything, you shouldnt have to move the battery or get ride of the ac. All you will need to do is get the wiring harness of course, kpro ecu, the motor mounts for it to fit in your car, and not to sure what else you would need but im sure someone else would know if i left anything else out. But you would not have to sacrifice anything.

Another good choice is to buy the k20a3 it is the cheapest and it isnt as fast as the rest put change the rocker arms and camshafts to the ones in the k24a2 and bam vtec killer setup. There is a couple of guys on ephatch that has done this setup and it has proven its self greatly. They went from like 150 whp with bolt ons to 196 to 198 whp which is great gains for just changing the cams to true ivtec cams. But just trying to put more ways to go for ya, but choice which ever you want.

No you will not have to sacrafice anything, you shouldnt have to move the battery or get ride of the ac. All you will need to do is get the wiring harness of course, kpro ecu, the motor mounts for it to fit in your car, and not to sure what else you would need but im sure someone else would know if i left anything else out. But you would not have to sacrifice anything.

Another good choice is to buy the k20a3 it is the cheapest and it isnt as fast as the rest put change the rocker arms and camshafts to the ones in the k24a2 and bam vtec killer setup. There is a couple of guys on ephatch that has done this setup and it has proven its self greatly. They went from like 150 whp with bolt ons to 196 to 198 whp which is great gains for just changing the cams to true ivtec cams. But just trying to put more ways to go for ya, but choice which ever you want.

great! thanks. k20s sounds like the right choice.

so I think I might go with the K20a type R.

the one on hmotorsonline.com

now what would be the best turbo kit to go with it?

so I think I might go with the K20a type R.

the one on hmotorsonline.com

now what would be the best turbo kit to go with it?

Ya the k20a is the most expensive k20 motor out there and i was going to say they are bout 5 to 6k but ya that website price is right. And if you are wanting to go with alot of boost and and make the numbers way up there then i recommend the peek boost kit. That turbo kit is mainly for the high numbers and high boost. But still always put into factor on going up there on the boost you will always have to build your internals. So get some low compression pistons with rods etc, then its up the the top end so get some cams, camshafts, valves etc . Then after you got all the parts get someone that is really good at tuning and i would say with all of that with 20 psi you should be alittle above 500 whp.

Archived