91 lx tranny wont shift

95_lumaccord

my friend is selling a 91 lx with 200k+ miles for $600 but it dosent have 1st gear and u have to manually shift it from 2nd to 3rd, no automatic kickdown. it runs good , no smoke, no miss, no visible oil leaks and cv axels are good but he said the #2 plug electrode, ( the metal post inside the porcelin) melts down rather quickly. He told me that a new ecu would fix the tranny or i could take the chip out and replace it, is that possible or is the transmission shot? and what could cause the plug to melt down so quickly? the car dosent overheat , it stays right below halfway. If you could give me any input to help me decide I would appreciate it!

The 4th Gen Accord did have some problems with the Transmission Control Module (TCM). Some TCMs had leaky capacitors and the electrolytic solution would fry surrounding resistors. There are a few sources of information on the web on how to fix this yourself, your "friend" is likely referring to this. This known issue with those TCMs is likely directly related the to the automatic transmission being unable to downshift, though there is a possibility the solenoids are clogged. The real issue is not having 1st, this tells me that the syncros for 1st gear are damaged; the transmission would have to be removed from the car so that it can be opened up and rebuilt. You may even be able to replace the entire transmission for the cost of rebuilding the one the car has.

Still, $900 ($600 + $200 "new" automatic transmission + $100 "new" TCM) could still be a good deal if the car is in excellent condition. Problem is, at 200+ kmiles, I would expect there to be more than just transmission problems.

Buyer beware. Some friend you have.

So The transmission is shot? would a prelude transmission bolt and plug in easily? or is the accord transmission better? the other thing is the metal post in a spark plug melts down to nothing, ive never herd of this happening. does anyone know what causes that?

Archived