b16a cooling problems

I'm having some issues with my cooling system. After the car is warmed up, the temp guage keeps rising, goes almost to the top, then drops back down to "normal". I'm thinking that the fan isn't kicking on when it's supposed to. Engine was installed roughly 2000 miles ago - 1st gen (OBDO) JDM b16a DOHC - new rad hoses, thermostat. I tried jumping the fan right to the battery and it works fine. I suspect one of the cooling sensors isn't doing it's job and maybe not kicking on the fan. I know I've got two sensors near/under the dizzy. One (2-wire) is the coolant temp sensor and the other (1-wire) is the temp guage sender. I'm not an expert so please correct me if I'm wrong. I've been told that there's another sensor on the back of the block that's supposed to sense temp and send a signal to the ECU? I know the sensor next to the oil filter is the oil pressure sensor. Does anyone have a picture of the backside of the block that could for sure show me the sensor I think I'm looking for? I could use a part number also!

I think 1st gens have the sensor on the back of the block and later gens have the sensor by the thermostat housing. I've read several threads and come to the conclusion that most b16a owners aren't quite clear which sensors are which!

Also, radiator is full and there's no air in the system.

I'm having some issues with my cooling system. After the car is warmed up, the temp guage keeps rising, goes almost to the top, then drops back down to "normal". I'm thinking that the fan isn't kicking on when it's supposed to. Engine was installed roughly 2000 miles ago - 1st gen (OBDO) JDM b16a DOHC - new rad hoses, thermostat. I tried jumping the fan right to the battery and it works fine. I suspect one of the cooling sensors isn't doing it's job and maybe not kicking on the fan. I know I've got two sensors near/under the dizzy. One (2-wire) is the coolant temp sensor and the other (1-wire) is the temp guage sender. I'm not an expert so please correct me if I'm wrong. I've been told that there's another sensor on the back of the block that's supposed to sense temp and send a signal to the ECU? I know the sensor next to the oil filter is the oil pressure sensor. Does anyone have a picture of the backside of the block that could for sure show me the sensor I think I'm looking for? I could use a part number also!

I think 1st gens have the sensor on the back of the block and later gens have the sensor by the thermostat housing. I've read several threads and come to the conclusion that most b16a owners aren't quite clear which sensors are which!

Also, radiator is full and there's no air in the system.

Are you sure about that, because a rising and falling temp gauge are the exact symptoms of being low on coolant.

Archived