Bought a BAD shape 92 LX... just wanting some feedback

finchx6

Recently purchased a 92 model Honda Accord LX... I had to buy it in a clinch because my car I was driving officially died. I've owned hondas before, (like my 97 that I had quite a bit done to actually) but this car is really worrying me.

Basically, here are a few things its doing, and I was just wanting to see if anyone had any thoughts about possible causes...

1. The brakes... the breaks will work when you first apply them, but as you hold your foot down, it starts to lose pressure and the car will begin to roll (thank gods for the parking brake... LOL). It does this even with the vehicle off, so I don't think its the brake booster... considering I can pump the breaks over and over again without achieving pressure, I don't think there is air in the lines... leading me to think its the master cyl... Also, there are no leaks to be found anywhere that might be leaking brake fluid.... Any other thoughts??

2. Overheating... the car does leak oil but I keep a VERY close watch on all of it. Although, even with the radiator full (and of ACTUAL coolant, not just water)... and with the right amount of oil, it will still overheat if I'm not moving. It also goes through coolant very quickly which I also check and refill just like the oil.... and no signs of leaks.

3. Basically... I got canned from my job, and on my way back home, my car died... and I only had about $900 to spend on a replacement vehicle. I knew not to expect anything remotely perfect, but I've only had this thing a few days and at least one new thing goes on with it each day... I can't afford to repair it extensively (if even possible), but I'd like to get some feedback regarding what YOU think would be causing all of this. I swear, I live in the dallas area, but I'm about to part this thing out and use the money to just go out and buy a decent motorcycle if I can't get this thing running better. Someone....Anyone... please help..

Recently purchased a 92 model Honda Accord LX... I had to buy it in a clinch because my car I was driving officially died. I've owned hondas before, (like my 97 that I had quite a bit done to actually) but this car is really worrying me.

Basically, here are a few things its doing, and I was just wanting to see if anyone had any thoughts about possible causes...

1. The brakes... the breaks will work when you first apply them, but as you hold your foot down, it starts to lose pressure and the car will begin to roll (thank gods for the parking brake... LOL). It does this even with the vehicle off, so I don't think its the brake booster... considering I can pump the breaks over and over again without achieving pressure, I don't think there is air in the lines... leading me to think its the master cyl... Also, there are no leaks to be found anywhere that might be leaking brake fluid.... Any other thoughts??

2. Overheating... the car does leak oil but I keep a VERY close watch on all of it. Although, even with the radiator full (and of ACTUAL coolant, not just water)... and with the right amount of oil, it will still overheat if I'm not moving. It also goes through coolant very quickly which I also check and refill just like the oil.... and no signs of leaks.

3. Basically... I got canned from my job, and on my way back home, my car died... and I only had about $900 to spend on a replacement vehicle. I knew not to expect anything remotely perfect, but I've only had this thing a few days and at least one new thing goes on with it each day... I can't afford to repair it extensively (if even possible), but I'd like to get some feedback regarding what YOU think would be causing all of this. I swear, I live in the dallas area, but I'm about to part this thing out and use the money to just go out and buy a decent motorcycle if I can't get this thing running better. Someone....Anyone... please help..

1) Master Cylinder needs to be replaced it usually leaks behind the bolted down flange so you don't always see the break fluid. I strongly reccomend that you get a Honda replacement as other aftermarket master cyclinders do not always install or fit properly. I also reccomend that you bench bleed the master cylinder before installing into the car.

2) Sounds like a radiator fan might be bad. Check the fans by running a jumper wire on the fans electrical connection to see if they are working.. If the fans are working then replace the thermostat (use a Honda not a Stant or Robert Shaw thermostat) and you may also need to replace the eletrical temperature sensor located on the Themostat housing (behind the Distributor). You can also do a radiator flush and fill as that never hurts.

3)Sorry about your situation but understand Honda's are basically good cars but a 1992 which only cost $900.00 you can't expect too much.. Also realize that motorcycles break down and have problems and maintenance as well..

Archived