Differences between the d15b7 vs. d16z6 heads???

del sol daddy-O

I have been looking into the mini-me swap a little bit and was wondering if the head gaskets are actually the same for these two different engines or would I need to have the gasket indicated for the z6 vtec head? I believe they should be the same but would like to make a much better informed decision when buying parts. Also, can I re-use the distributor off of my b7 with the vtec head and still use the vtec? Kinda fuzzy on this one although I have been trying to figure it out. Thanks for the help.

• 5 months later...
I have been looking into the mini-me swap a little bit and was wondering if the head gaskets are actually the same for these two different engines or would I need to have the gasket indicated for the z6 vtec head? I believe they should be the same but would like to make a much better informed decision when buying parts. Also, can I re-use the distributor off of my b7 with the vtec head and still use the vtec? Kinda fuzzy on this one although I have been trying to figure it out. Thanks for the help.

Poke around on the the forums a bit theres an very nice write up/DIY on the mini-me swap floating around in there, i passed over it about a week ago. I too am going to run a mini-me setup so congrats on that decision, but yea look around a lil in older posts and check for the build thread it gives a parts list, and a step-by-step(thanks go out to the poster btw)

matter of fact i was even nice and refound the thread here it is http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=554053

but in relation to the the original post i just picked up a head that came off of a d16z6 to do the mini-me swap, the vtec solenoid is not there, are there any other indicators i can look for to verify that it is the correct head off the z6, the serial number on the head is a b21 number if that helps any.....i have completely disassembled the head and am about to order my valves/seals(FERREA), also ordering skunk2 valve springs and retainers...now comes to my second question is there a preferred cam to go with that you guys are using cuz i have three options comp/zex, crower, and skunk2 ne info will be helpful thanks.....

Archived