engine performance

so i recently bought a del sol with a gsr b18c in it. the engine seems to run real great but i kinda have my doubts now and then. cause it will blow a little smoke while just idling. and when i first turn it on it idle around 1300 and if i just tap the gas it almost stalls, and if i listen to the exhaust it almost sounds like it could have a missfire...

kinda like da da da da da duh da da da... try to bare with my failed attempt at recreating the sound

so can u guys give me some input what you u think the quality of my engine could be.

also the engine was turboed before and it has a decent amount of blow by if u take off the oil cap

so i recently bought a del sol with a gsr b18c in it. the engine seems to run real great but i kinda have my doubts now and then. cause it will blow a little smoke while just idling. and when i first turn it on it idle around 1300 and if i just tap the gas it almost stalls, and if i listen to the exhaust it almost sounds like it could have a missfire...

kinda like da da da da da duh da da da... try to bare with my failed attempt at recreating the sound

so can u guys give me some input what you u think the quality of my engine could be.

also the engine was turboed before and it has a decent amount of blow by if u take off the oil cap

what color is the smoke? could be gas or oil.... Check your compression. I'm having that same problem with the sounds. Starts and idles high, then starts a low popping/da da da da (ha ha ha ha ) sound....

you have a stock exhaust?

what color is the smoke? could be gas or oil.... Check your compression. I'm having that same problem with the sounds. Starts and idles high, then starts a low popping/da da da da (ha ha ha ha ) sound....

you have a stock exhaust?

im pretty sure its not stock exhaust it seems like a aftermarket standard looking but louder muffler and it doesnt have a resonator mid pipe.

the smoke is sorta white-ish it looks like condensation... but its 80 out so thats not it.

and if its rings... how much am i looking cost wise to get that fixed cause ive never done it before

im pretty sure its not stock exhaust it seems like a aftermarket standard looking but louder muffler and it doesnt have a resonator mid pipe.

the smoke is sorta white-ish it looks like condensation... but its 80 out so thats not it.

and if its rings... how much am i looking cost wise to get that fixed cause ive never done it before

rings are cheap if you fix them yourself.....white smoke is fuel...

is there a write up anywhere on replacing the rings. the most i have ever done was taking the head off.

and if it is coolant... any idea where it might be leaking into the engine and how to fix it.

i bought this engine knowing it was abused... i just wanna make sure it last as long as possible

is there a write up anywhere on replacing the rings. the most i have ever done was taking the head off.

and if it is coolant... any idea where it might be leaking into the engine and how to fix it.

i bought this engine knowing it was abused... i just wanna make sure it last as long as possible

Coolant can really be only 1 of 2 things. Headgasket, or cracked sleeve/block.

It sounds like these engines blow head gaskets more than normal....so check your oil. If its milky (light brown and should be overfull), then you are getting coolant in your oil.

Blown headgaskets don't always mix coolant and oil. First step should be a compression test. Do a dry, and then a wet. If it improves significantly on the wet test, your rings are shot. Also, if you have 2 cylinders next to each other that are low, or comparable, the headgasket has probably lost its seal between those two.

Blown headgaskets don't always mix coolant and oil. First step should be a compression test. Do a dry, and then a wet. If it improves significantly on the wet test, your rings are shot. Also, if you have 2 cylinders next to each other that are low, or comparable, the headgasket has probably lost its seal between those two.

cool thanks the last part was real helpful. i got a friend that can do the check for me so ill try it out soon and let u guys know

Archived