a/c compressor won't engage

FireSarge

'94 accord, a/c compressor clutch will engage when jumpered, but not when low-pressure switch is. +voltage @ low-pressure switch when jumpered, replaced clutch relay, and the compressor still won't engage. Is there a common problem that I'm missing?

Thanks

'94 accord, a/c compressor clutch will engage when jumpered, but not when low-pressure switch is. +voltage @ low-pressure switch when jumpered, replaced clutch relay, and the compressor still won't engage. Is there a common problem that I'm missing?

Thanks

So basically your A/C is not engaging. Did you check for continuity across the A/C switch on the dash? The only common problem on that generation regarding the A/C is that the cable driven temp dial sticks so you do not get completely cold air (assuming the high and low cycles fine), but it sounds like your low is not cycling. I will have to check, but it appears there is a constriction on the low pressure return line. There may be a check valve there (again I would have to check), but it sounds like there is a constriction somewhere thus not dropping the low pressure enough to allow the clutch to engage thus no compression on the high side and no A/C.

Is that about right? Provide more information and possibly we can help more.

I Discharged the system, replaced the expansion valve, and drier. When I attempted to refill the system I could not get the a/c clutch to engage, even with the low pressure switch jumpered(reading 12 volts), then I replaced the relay for the a/c clutch, no luck. Then I jumpered the a/c clutch and the high pressure gauge on my refrigerant spiked way high so I stopped. Now I'm sitting on my thumb wondering what to do in this crazy GA heat.

How do I check the continuity at the switch? There is no pressure on the system that I know of , so I'm not sure if there could be a restriction stopping me.

Thanks for the input and does any of this make any sense at all?

Archived