timing marks on harmonic ballancer..timing belt slipped!

lortech

Well I have this 93 del sol si DOHC that the belt slipped. It will not start so I repositioned the belt according to mitchel. The three marks on the cam sprocket line up with the three arrows on the timing cover. The crank shaft harmonic ballancer has three marks on it. One single one, and about two to theee inches away, three more marks. I was sure the single mark was TDC. Verified this by removing spark plug closest to distributor, assuming that's #1 and put in a very long 1/4 inch drive extension in the spark plughole. Moved the pulley back and forth and it would stop at that one mark.

So I suspect both are aligned. But doing a compression check getting little increase or non at all from the gage. I suspect that the valves are bent but not sure. I SHOULD have looked at the rockers for excessive slop which would have indicated bent valves.

Anyway, regarding the marks on the balancer, which mark on the harmonic balancer is TDC? I need to get this engine running by tomorrow or, its going to be a head job. Pictures of the harmonic balancer showing where TDC should line up would be great.

the cylinder closest to the timing belt is #1. not dizzy. the single mark on the main pully is TDC. the other 3 are ignition timing marks , used when setting ignition timing with a gun and dizzy. the cam wheels have 3 marks each yes , one of the spokes has an arrow that says UP. and 2 hash marks one each side 90 degrees from that approx. focus on the UP arrow of course having it just that , UP when setting this , and the 2 marks in between the cam wheels which should line up to each other perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...
the cylinder closest to the timing belt is #1. not dizzy. the single mark on the main pully is TDC. the other 3 are ignition timing marks , used when setting ignition timing with a gun and dizzy. the cam wheels have 3 marks each yes , one of the spokes has an arrow that says UP. and 2 hash marks one each side 90 degrees from that approx. focus on the UP arrow of course having it just that , UP when setting this , and the 2 marks in between the cam wheels which should line up to each other perfectly.

I have all that info. I started a new thread on this so this one can be canceled.

Archived