99 Accord starting/dying problems

netbret

Help...I'm working on a friends 99 Accord EX with the Vtec V6. It will at random during startup just make a continuous clicking noise, then after a short amount of time of leaving it alone will start like nothing was wrong.

Other times I'll be driving it down the street and it will just quit (all gauges and engine), then after a few seconds will turn on again without touching the key.

So far, I've replaced the battery, starter, and ignition coil with the same results. I figured it's time to post this question for some additional ideas because I'm STUCK!

Being that it's only 10 years old, I highly doubt that it's the ignition switch. However, it is a common problem on older Hondas. In the steering column you're going to want to take a look at the electrical portion of that switch.

Kastigir, thanks for the tip...I did some research and found that a recall was for the steering column ignition switch but not for my exact VIN. If I was to purchase the part myself, would this be a difficult project to take on? Aside from removing the column covers, removing the Pos and Neg terminals from the battery, I think all that would be left is a couple of plugs and retaining clips that hold the switch in the column. Have you worked on something like this before?

Kastigir, thanks for the tip...I did some research and found that a recall was for the steering column ignition switch but not for my exact VIN. If I was to purchase the part myself, would this be a difficult project to take on? Aside from removing the column covers, removing the Pos and Neg terminals from the battery, I think all that would be left is a couple of plugs and retaining clips that hold the switch in the column. Have you worked on something like this before?

Not personally. Only need remove the negative terminal of the battery. Take apart the column. I would imagine there are a couple of screws/bolts holding the switch in, and of course a plug or two.

I went ahead and spoke to Honda and convinced them to perform a diagnostic at N/C beings other Accords were under the recall and my friends wasn't. Honda found that the electrical portion of the ignition switch was the problem, so I purchased the part (around $65.00) and installed it with no problems.

A fairly simple job to take on and everything is working fine so far. Thanks for your help Kastigir!

I went ahead and spoke to Honda and convinced them to perform a diagnostic at N/C beings other Accords were under the recall and my friends wasn't. Honda found that the electrical portion of the ignition switch was the problem, so I purchased the part (around $65.00) and installed it with no problems.

A fairly simple job to take on and everything is working fine so far. Thanks for your help Kastigir!

My god...I'm more awesome than I could have ever imagined.

Archived