new front speakers help

ockky

i purchased some JL Audio TR600cxi speakers to put into the front doors of my 95 del sol, but it seems that they are too deep for the plastic basket to hold them (the JL Audio website said they would fit). so what should i do? should i cut the back of the basket out so that the speakers will fit, or should i do something else. any help would be most appreciated!

Just cut the back out from the speaker holder. Remove the old speaker and then remove the speaker basket. Take the speaker basket and put it in a bench vise and use a hacksaw and cut just the very back off the basket. Reinstall the speaker basket and install your new speakers...Works just fine..

As a sidenote, before putting the speaker basket and new speaker in put in a 7 inch round piece of dynamat (sound deading) material on the metal of the door and then install everything..

hi try to make a mounting ring (mdf rning) to mount the speaker to the door the ring should give you the clearence to mount the speaker. i can email you a picture and step by step guide of how to do this if you give me your email address..........

• 2 months later...

Another option that you could think about. Since you just went bought JL Audo speakers, Do you really want to hide them behind the factory grills. I Have 2 pairs of JL audio XR 650's. What i did was created spacers to pull the speakers out from the panel. This is kind of tricky, though cause you have to line it up perfectly. The 6.5" speakers fit perfectly in the stock speaker well. Dynomat, And put on the JL Audio speaker grills. I did it my self took about an hour to do both front door speakers. THese speakers are simply the greatest. They shake the re view mirror.

Archived