steering shakes and shimys

bennannie

when i accelerate, the front end shakes and shimys. the faster i accelerate the harder it shimys. the car has 202,000 miles and is most likely running on original bearings. i know the rotos need replaced and i will replace the bearings at that time. but i dont know if the shake/shimy problem is bearings, bent/twisted shaft or alignment. anyone have any idears?

no popping. i noticed there is some tranny fluid leaking right where the driveshaft goes into the automatic tranny, wich leads me to beleive that the cv joints on that shaft may be worn and the shuder and vibration may be wearing on the shaft seal. if i have it alligned and the problem persists, then i have to change out the driveshafts and pay to get it alligned again. i guess i will just change out that one side with the worn shaft seal, get new oem wheel bearings, rotors, and allignment.

no popping. i noticed there is some tranny fluid leaking right where the driveshaft goes into the automatic tranny, wich leads me to beleive that the cv joints on that shaft may be worn and the shuder and vibration may be wearing on the shaft seal. if i have it alligned and the problem persists, then i have to change out the driveshafts and pay to get it alligned again. i guess i will just change out that one side with the worn shaft seal, get new oem wheel bearings, rotors, and allignment.

Seems like a lot of wasted money... Theorectically if you replace a drive shaft your should not have to re-allign the car. If there is a seal leaking that is a no brainer (fix it). A bad drive shaft can cause the vibraion you are describing; however, it is rare if it is original shaft with the original joints and the boots have been replaced before splitting. Also, if you replace the bearing you should not have to re-allign the car.

It seems to me you are more worried about re-alligning the car then you are about fixing it. Did you ever think about lubricating the slide pins in the caliper frame. Might want to start with that since regardless of where you end up, if you replace the rotors then they should be done anyway.

Could be a lot of things causing the shimmy.

like tires... put the fronts on the back and see if it still does it. ($free)

New rotors and pads cost around $100 from autozone.

I've replaced an axle on a plymouth acclaim and it wasn't that pricey or bad of a job... easier than trying to replace the boots and getting the clamping right. (<$100???)

How are your motor mounts?

Archived