1998 Honda CIvic, It Starts The Dies

AzViper

I have a 1998 Honda Civic EX that is completely stock. I am really pissed off. My dad had just rebuilt the entire frontend after someone with a large truck had backed into the frontend causing lots of damage. My dad had to replace the hood, fenders, headlights, the frontend that supports the radiator, etc. I drove the car one day and now the car starts then dies. When it starts it acts as though the timing is off, it’s backfiring and will not run longer than 15 seconds. I can restart the engine and it does the same thing, it dies. The check engine light has come on just after the car starting running bad. My dad thinks it may be the fuel pump or fuel filter but as I said it sounds like the timing is off.

I know my dad has had it with me and my girlfriend’s vehicles. Last week my dad had to drop the fuel tank on my girlfriends ford quad cab and replace the fuel pump. I am lucky to have a dad who can repair things.

Anybody have a clue or a suggestion? Thanks in advance, hope to get some replies… Ryan

I have a 1998 Honda Civic EX that is completely stock. I am really pissed off. My dad had just rebuilt the entire frontend after someone with a large truck had backed into the frontend causing lots of damage. My dad had to replace the hood, fenders, headlights, the frontend that supports the radiator, etc. I drove the car one day and now the car starts then dies. When it starts it acts as though the timing is off, it’s backfiring and will not run longer than 15 seconds. I can restart the engine and it does the same thing, it dies. The check engine light has come on just after the car starting running bad. My dad thinks it may be the fuel pump or fuel filter but as I said it sounds like the timing is off.

I know my dad has had it with me and my girlfriend’s vehicles. Last week my dad had to drop the fuel tank on my girlfriends ford quad cab and replace the fuel pump. I am lucky to have a dad who can repair things.

Anybody have a clue or a suggestion? Thanks in advance, hope to get some replies… Ryan

your girlfriend drives a ford quad cab? sorry about that one dude!! >_<

and it sounds like your dad cooooould be right... if your timing was off you would have more serious issues i think... but im no pro

Pull the code(s).

I hope I have this right.

Codes

PO301

P1399

If I have read correctly all these code are the result of fuel delivery or weak pump. Does someone have a list to verify?

P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

P0301-304 are cylinder 1-4 misfires.

I can find no P1399 under a Honda specific set. There was 1 forum post on a Prelude with a 1399, but they were talking about EGR valves and the like. Sounds like you have something failing in your ignition system.

It might be worth replacing the fuel pump to see if it fixes the problem seeing as how easy they are to do on your car. all you have to do to get to it is pull out the back seat and there is gonna be a little access cover on the car that you pop off and your fuel pump and sending unit is right there. I looked online and if you get just a basic oem fuel pump the prices are really not bad, so it might be worth a try.

It might be worth replacing the fuel pump to see if it fixes the problem seeing as how easy they are to do on your car. all you have to do to get to it is pull out the back seat and there is gonna be a little access cover on the car that you pop off and your fuel pump and sending unit is right there. I looked online and if you get just a basic oem fuel pump the prices are really not bad, so it might be worth a try.

Pointless since none of his codes have anything to do with the fuel system. Do any of you guys read the posts before offering advice?

Thanks for the tip on removing the seat. I am glad I listen to my Dad. My Dad has many years under his belt in Top Fuel Drag Boat Racing and Score Off-Road Racing. He was correct that it was the fuel pump. I bought a new fuel pump locally from BAP for $52.00. Civic runs like a champ.

Kastigir - You need to check what and where your looking at codes. These links below all say that codes 301, 302, 303, and 304 could be a fuel problem. In my case it was a fuel problem... The engine was misfiring due to low fuel pressure and had nothing to do with timing...

Code 301

Code 302

Code 303

Code 304

Thanks for the tip on removing the seat. I am glad I listen to my Dad. My Dad has many years under his belt in Top Fuel Drag Boat Racing and Score Off-Road Racing. He was correct that it was the fuel pump. I bought a new fuel pump locally from BAP for $52.00. Civic runs like a champ.

Kastigir - You need to check what and where your looking at codes. These links below all say that codes 301, 302, 303, and 304 could be a fuel problem. In my case it was a fuel problem... The engine was misfiring due to low fuel pressure and had nothing to do with timing...

Code 301

Code 302

Code 303

Code 304

Yes, but out of the 9 different things it could've been, only 3 of them were fuel related. Percentage wise, it was a better guess to be ignition system.

Pointless since none of his codes have anything to do with the fuel system. Do any of you guys read the posts before offering advice?

I did read the post and gave my opinion on what he explained, and from what he said was going on a fuel pump best fit the problem.

and what do you know it fixed the problem. :thumbsup:

Archived