I need to replace the radio in my 1984 LX

Myrt

Yes, long story. My father's in law car. My wife wants it just the way she remembers it. So it was "Yes dear anything you want." So a Honda radio it is. I don't really want to put in a 80's era radio. Our cassettes are long gone.

I'm not sure about the honda radio, but normally radios/headunits are measured in dimms, standard size is 1 dimm, crystler had 1.5dimm, and some are 2dimm.

Anyway, normally all you need is a mounting bracket for the particular brand radio and particular car if you have fitment issues and then pop it in and wire it up. Change those 1984 speakers though!

All Honda radios that look like they would fit in that hole, will fit in that hole. Honda used the same size radio from late 70's to about 2002. I believe the 2002 Accord was the last to receive a single dimm radio with a pocket underneath. After 2002, the Accords received double dimm radios.

If she wants it how she remembered it, then you want to match the display color with dash lights. I believe you have that greenish-blue color display, like all Accords from 1985-97 and Acura CLs from 1997-99. If you need amber, the radio could come from a Prelude, 1987-90 Acura Integras or 1985-87 CRXs. If you need white, the radio could come from 1991-00 Acura Integra.

Shoot for something with 6 or more buttons and a CD or AUX selector, it will have an 8-pin DIN connection that can run a number of Alpine 6-disc CD changers or an iPod with the appropriate adapter installed.

If she wants it the way she remembers start calling salvage yards and you might find one. Try calling 1-800-buy-used or try looking at Greenleaf Salvage.

If you go with something newer I believe the connector for the harness was different. I am not sure if they changed it in 86 or what. Radios really isn't my deal, unless it is electrical trouble shooting.

Archived