transmission change up on a 98 civic ex

stsdude2

I stupidly financed my civic and am paying it off over the next 4 years. I have a 98 civic ex coupe with 80k miles on it and its an automatic, however I would like to change it over to a manual for the performance and because I hate driving automatic. Does anyone know how much it would cost to do this labor not included.

Can be done for about $500 if you're creative and patient. As for labor, free if you have some buddies with some knowledge.

What does creative and patient mean in this instance, I was just going to go to a junkyard and try and scrounge up some parts though I am not entirely sure what it is I will need other than the transmission, a shifter, shift boot, clutch pedal and to remove whatever it is thats on the engine of an automatic so that it can be made manual. Is there anything I am missing? I just want to make sure I know what kind of parts to buy.

I did the exact same thing with my eg. its not that bad if you have a few tools and experience with hondas

Here is a list of everything you will need:

1.tranny

2.shifter linkages and mounting bushings.

3.5-speed shifter console with boot and boot ring.

4.clutch setup with flywhel.

5.all of the pedals under the dash(the brake and gas pedal are in one bracket).

6.clutch master cylinder and clutch lines.

7.5-speed ecu(automatic is different)

you will have to jump the park sensor wires on the plug that goes to the shifter for the car to start, and if you want the reverse lights to work you will need to wire up the reverse sensor on the tranny. I ran the wires to the plug where I jumped the park sensor and just ran the two wires to the reverse wires on the plug.

If you have any more questions you can just pm me and I will be happy to help you out :thumbsup:

I guess its time to start saving for a new car, 3 mechanics told me they wouldnt do it and that it was ridiculously exspensive. I just dont have the time to do it by myself or have any friends who have the time to work with me, find all the parts and help me do it properly, so thanks for the help guys, but I guess I'll just have to save for a 5 speed civic, hopefully by the time I have the money, 95-98 civics will still be worth all the work I'd like to put into one. Theres no use in putting a bunch of performance parts into an automatic. I'll be back here when I need help finding a new car to buy. Thanks guys : )

Archived