1999 Honda Civic EX Coupe. Mini swap

xjustinjx

Okay I have a 1999 honda civic ex. it's a nice car. 5 speed. I blew the first engine up and bought another off eBay (stupid idea) it's a mini swap (?) engine. I believe the head is a 96 and the other part is a 92 (obviously not very knowledgeable in this).

My problem is: I was sitting in my car idleing and all of a sudden the RPM's droped to like 100. I pushed the gas, no power. After holding the gas down for like 20 seconds the RPM's raised and i hurried and drove it home. After words i had a 'friend mechanic' who's job is working on cars and he couldn't figure it out. I changed the oil, new spark plugs, put gas in it, got a new cap and router, spark plug wires, fuel filter, and later a water coolent sensor. it has a new battery. NOW: just doing random checks I found the water coolent sensor was bad so i replaced it. Still the engine will 'start' but hardly driveable and absolutly no power. Now, when I attempt to start it i have to unplug the MAP sensor (?) on top of the intake manifold, and it will start. If that sensor is pluged in it's laggy and no power but unpluged the RMP's kick right up still with no power.

I"m tired of just unpluggin sensor's and trying to start it, and tired of buying parts that arn't helping. Any suggestions on what the hell to try next?

Also how can i get the check engine light to blink like 1,2 (slow) then like 1,2,3,4,5 (fast) and then the code would read 25. I don't remember how to do it.

any real help would be great because so far all the help i've gotten isn't working.

to check the codes you have to find the green plug above the ecu under the dash and use a paper clip to jump the terminals. next turn the car to the on position and is should spit out codes.

I would think that if you have to unplug the map sensor to start it that that sensor might just be bad, maybe.

to check the codes you have to find the green plug above the ecu under the dash and use a paper clip to jump the terminals. next turn the car to the on position and is should spit out codes.

I would think that if you have to unplug the map sensor to start it that that sensor might just be bad, maybe.

Ahh, okay. I knew it was simple i just couldn't get it. That green plug is a little bit** to jump lol. Thank you though. Do you know a site where the codes are listed by chance?

Ahh, okay. I knew it was simple i just couldn't get it. That green plug is a little bit** to jump lol. Thank you though. Do you know a site where the codes are listed by chance?

OBDI or II?

OBDI or II?

OBD II if it means anything lol. I'm not gunna go hook a OBD anything up to it just because this trick works much better for me, UNLESS it actually will make a drastic change for the better lol.

or does OBD I or II make a difference for the codes, i feel stupid lol...

The reason why we ask is because if it is OBDll you cant use the jumper trick. you have to hook up a OBD code reader to the OBD plug on the car. I don't know why but I just assumed that you had obd l because I'm so used to using it, but your car does not. you can take it to autozone or most auto parts stores and they can read the codes for you for free.

This thread has not gone anywhere since its inception. If you have OBDII go have someone pull the code. ALSO, on some OBDII cars they still had the two pin deadend connector under the glovebox or under the carpet on the passengers side that allow you to pull code manually. So, infact you may still be able to pull it yourself. DO NOT touch any yellow connectors (SRS (airbag) systems kill). The connector should be blue, but on rare ocassions I have seen them gray and it will be a dead end connector if you have one.

OBD II if it means anything lol. I'm not gunna go hook a OBD anything up to it just because this trick works much better for me, UNLESS it actually will make a drastic change for the better lol.

or does OBD I or II make a difference for the codes, i feel stupid lol...

It makes a difference for the codes, because OBD II has a ton of codes. OBD I or 0 has very few.

List of OBD II codes.

http://www.club3g.com/forum/problem-report...top-asking.html

This thread has not gone anywhere since its inception. If you have OBDII go have someone pull the code. ALSO, on some OBDII cars they still had the two pin deadend connector under the glovebox or under the carpet on the passengers side that allow you to pull code manually. So, infact you may still be able to pull it yourself. DO NOT touch any yellow connectors (SRS (airbag) systems kill). The connector should be blue, but on rare ocassions I have seen them gray and it will be a dead end connector if you have one.

I've been able to get this far, the codes it gives me is 32, and 36, only 36 when i reset my computer so i'm asuming that the code 32 is for the knock sensor since i got a ghetto rigged one and occasionally will set off the check engine light until i reset my ECU.

Thanks for the information though.

Currently i'm selling my car for $5,250 (OBO). Will take a nice bike if anyone is down for that e-mail me. winitquick@hotmail.com

I've been able to get this far, the codes it gives me is 32, and 36, only 36 when i reset my computer so i'm asuming that the code 32 is for the knock sensor since i got a ghetto rigged one and occasionally will set off the check engine light until i reset my ECU.

Thanks for the information though.

Currently i'm selling my car for $5,250 (OBO). Will take a nice bike if anyone is down for that e-mail me. winitquick@hotmail.com

WUT? OBD II codes are 5 digits starting with a P. Or, are you trying to pull your codes by jumping your service clip? Take it to Autozone, they will scan OBD II codes for free.

WUT? OBD II codes are 5 digits starting with a P. Or, are you trying to pull your codes by jumping your service clip? Take it to Autozone, they will scan OBD II codes for free.

a 96/92motor/head would be set-up for obd 1 you ecu is obd 2 unless you changed that also.....the ecu and map sensor are looking for info that is not there. get a computer out of an older civic i think

Archived