No Directionals

Honda4TW

I own a 1996 Accord. Recently the directionals stopped working. My husband checked the 7.5A fuse and found it OK. All the other lights function properly. What could be the problem? My husband thinks it could be in the steering column, since he had the same problem in his car a couple of years back.

I own a 1996 Accord. Recently the directionals stopped working. My husband checked the 7.5A fuse and found it OK. All the other lights function properly. What could be the problem? My husband thinks it could be in the steering column, since he had the same problem in his car a couple of years back.

Check fuse #35 (under hood fuse panel), it may be labled something like Hazard lights. Essentially, it could be several things, but bottom line is if your husband has a test light ALL fuses should be checked and any blown fuse replaced. A test light is the fastest method and can be obtained at any local auto parts store. Once grounded, the probe end of the test light can then be touched to the protruding metal on both sides of the fuses without removing them. This should be done with the key in the run position. If the light lights up on one side but not the other then the fuse is blown. If both sides light up then the fuse is good. If neither side lights up then there is no power being supplied to that fuse.

If you or your husband are confused, have him look at the end opposite the end of the fuse (then end you pull on to take it out) and he should see exposed metal tabs on each side opposite where it plugs into the panel (little pieces of metal built into the top of the fuse). With a fuse plugged in and power supplied, a grounded test light should light up when each side is touched. Thus ground a test light, turn the key to run and check ALL fuses both underhood and the interior fuse panel.

Your system runs through multiple fuses (although your owners manual does not say that), so check all fuses first.

Please post back with your findings. I dislike taking time to post when people do not respond with their findings. If it is not a fuse then we can go from there, but that is the first thing to check.

Good luck.

Check fuse #35 (under hood fuse panel), it may be labled something like Hazard lights. Essentially, it could be several things, but bottom line is if your husband has a test light ALL fuses should be checked and any blown fuse replaced. A test light is the fastest method and can be obtained at any local auto parts store. Once grounded, the probe end of the test light can then be touched to the protruding metal on both sides of the fuses without removing them. This should be done with the key in the run position. If the light lights up on one side but not the other then the fuse is blown. If both sides light up then the fuse is good. If neither side lights up then there is no power being supplied to that fuse.

If you or your husband are confused, have him look at the end opposite the end of the fuse (then end you pull on to take it out) and he should see exposed metal tabs on each side opposite where it plugs into the panel (little pieces of metal built into the top of the fuse). With a fuse plugged in and power supplied, a grounded test light should light up when each side is touched. Thus ground a test light, turn the key to run and check ALL fuses both underhood and the interior fuse panel.

Your system runs through multiple fuses (although your owners manual does not say that), so check all fuses first.

Please post back with your findings. I dislike taking time to post when people do not respond with their findings. If it is not a fuse then we can go from there, but that is the first thing to check.

Good luck.

Thanx Turtlehead and James for you responses. My husband took the car to our regular shop. In two seconds they had it fixed. It was the 4-way flasher button on the dash. It was pushed in (to activate flashers) and when pushed in to turn off the flashers, only came out halfway instead of all the way, thereby deactivating the turn signal circuit. After pulling the button all the way out, the turn signals worked perfectly. Thanx Again

• 2 weeks later...

check the little hazard light button i had this problem last weekend when installing my subs i had to take the hazard button out to reach a screw and after you disconect that you loose your blinkers. if your hazard lights are in your dash next o your clock then you can easily remove that and check the wires there are an aufle lot of bad conections back there

check the little hazard light button i had this problem last weekend when installing my subs i had to take the hazard button out to reach a screw and after you disconect that you loose your blinkers. if your hazard lights are in your dash next o your clock then you can easily remove that and check the wires there are an aufle lot of bad conections back there

If you knew how to read, you'd have seen that this problem was resolved. You did however have the correct answer, so you're only half full of fail.

Archived