2004 Accord Audio/HVAC repair problem

LouiseZA

Hi all:

I have a 2004 Accord EX 4-cyl. Last year my audio/hvac display went dark and I had it repaired at my local Honda dealership under the extended warranty on Thursday, July 24th, 2008. Two days later I noticed that the very bottom row of lights were not lighting up (the lights for the heat and air). I assumed it was related to the warranty repair so I wasn't alarmed and figured I could live with it until my next oil change. So then I take my car in to get the oil changed a couple of months later and mention the problem to the service advisor. He said it was a light bulb and unrelated to the warranty repair so it would cost $80-$100 to fix and I would have to schedule a separate appointment for them to do so. I really did not want to spend that much money on a non-neccessity at that time so I put it off for a while. I went away for three weeks over the Christmas Holidays and when I started my car for the first time...suddenly the lights worked! For about 30 minutes. Since then, they have been coming on sporadically. This, of course, made me realize that it couldn't possibly be a light bulb issue and when I took it in for the next oil change, I scheduled an appointment for them to look at it. The service advisor told me they would take care of it and said it would take about an hour. Two hours later, he tells me that the problem is totally unrelated to the warranty repairs and that I would have to pay for the part ($792.52!!!!!). Apparently it needs a MAIN POWER SUPPLY PANEL (PN#39170-SDA-A112).

So my question is: How likely is it that Honda caused damage to the part when they did the warranty repairs? The timing makes me think that they had to have done something.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

Honestly at the shop I have seen "weird" light issues before. Not that it will fix your situation, but it has always been (on your genertaion only up to this point) the fuse panel in cab located on the side panel to the left of you brake pedal. I think the Honda parts is only around 45 dollars for the entire panel. I think they are having a problem with them.

I am not sure if what they are telling you is the main power supply panel, but you can ask then if that is the fuse panel located within the vehicle where I described above. If that is the case then the price they gave you is WAY out of line. It takes about 45 minutes max (including driving the car into the shop) in order to replace that panel and the price of the interior panel as I said is not that much. You can always call another dealer and ask the parts department for a price on the PN they gave you in your post.

So, to answer your question, in my experience it is possible there is a loose connector from when they worked on your car, but for a panel to go, not likely. Look into what I have given you for advice and see where it takes you.

Archived