'87 Accord w/no brake lights

dba-one

Greetings,

I just picked up a '87 Accord DX hatch with a whopping 68k miles on the clock and that is supported by one of the best service history files I've ever seen. It really was owned by a little old lady who only drove it to the doctor and church! Anyway, The brake lights do not work. All the other lights do. I've done the following:

Verified the fuses and they are good

Checked the bulbs and they are good

Replaced the switch by the brake peddle so that can't be it.

This is driving me nuts. I see on the fuse panel that the right side "connection" relates to the tag lights. Those work just fine. Just the brake lights and it is all three that do not work. Can anyone throw this dummy a clue?

I would start by using a meter to see if there is power at the brake pedal switch. If there is, you need to check that there is power at each plug for each bulb. Start there and figure out where there is and isn't power and you should be able to narrow it down. It is always possible the brake switch you put in was bad, too. Don't assume because it was replaced it is now good.

I would verify with a test light all the fuses (under hood and under dash). Replace any fuse the is bad. Check them with the key in the run position and the headlights on and take a board and wedge it so that it presses the brake pedal. If all fuses test out OK then you need to check and see if there is power before the pedal switch. If not then you can look for a bad connect in the loop prior to the switch. If there is power before the switch, use a test light and press the pedal and check the wire after the switch, if so the switch is good. Then what you can do is jumper a hot wire from the battery to one of the tail lights and see if one of both work. If they work then you know there is an open it the circuit between the switch and the lights. If they don't work then you are probably looking at a bad ground.

Try it in the order I mentioned. Sometimes circuits run through multiple fuses, so just because the brake light fuse is good does not mean that if there is another fuse blown it wont interfere with the function of the brake lights.

The system it pretty simple and you should be able to fix it. Sound like a great buy by the way...

Archived