STR Cam Seal Installation

joecollins2

A simple problem, common to most B-block Honda engines is to have an oil leak around the front cam seal. A simple and aesthetically pleasing solution is to swap the seal out with one of STR's Cam seals. STR's cam seal is a machined aluminum piece which utilizes two rubber o-rings to create a seal. The seal comes in a few different colors. I chose the red anodized seal.

strseal.jpg

Tools Necessary:

reliable socket set

metric wrenches

sealant or Hondabond

The installation process is very easy. Start by removing the spark plug wire cover. Once that's out of the way, pull the plug wires out and lay them over to the side. Remove the valve cover and set it aside.

Once you have the valve cover removed, remove the rail across the cam caps.

i09.jpg

Then, there are a couple more bolts that need to be removed to get the cam cap off. Once you get those off, carefully pry the cam cap off.

strsealinstal.jpg

Once that's off, remove the plastic oil seal and pitch it. The instructions for the STR seal tell you to lightly coat the o-rings with oil and apply some sealant to the back of the seal. I just lightly applied some sealant to the inside edge. When you put the seal back in, it's a tight fit so don't be alarmed. Put the cam cap back on and torque down the bolts to about 7 ft-lbs. Once you get that back on, put the rail back on and torque those bolts down to 20ft-lbs. of torque. Reinstall the valve cover, sparkplug wires and spark plug cover.

strsealfinal.jpg

Archived