Still Missing.....

fifty9singlecab

I did a tune up today on my 90 Accord and it still has a miss. It seems to be a miss fire or something. But it only does it when you push down the gas quickly. (And then goes away) It seems to be it the low rpm's. In the last 2 days I've added a new fuel regulator, Idle control valve, The part beside it that the rubber hose goes into, Plugs, Wires, Cap, Button, and it still has has this miss. I also changed the oil and filter. (Like that matters) But after all of this when I start it, It won't start like it did. It acts like its flooded or something. But you can tap on the metal box under the dash on drivers side and it starts. Could this be my missing problem? Please help this is my daily driver.

I did a tune up today on my 90 Accord and it still has a miss. It seems to be a miss fire or something. But it only does it when you push down the gas quickly. (And then goes away) It seems to be it the low rpm's. In the last 2 days I've added a new fuel regulator, Idle control valve, The part beside it that the rubber hose goes into, Plugs, Wires, Cap, Button, and it still has has this miss. I also changed the oil and filter. (Like that matters) But after all of this when I start it, It won't start like it did. It acts like its flooded or something. But you can tap on the metal box under the dash on drivers side and it starts. Could this be my missing problem? Please help this is my daily driver.

i think you may have diagnosed your own problem.

It sounds like you may have a couple of problems. I would start swapping the main PGM-FI relay from your friends car to yours and see if the starting problem goes away. Cost nothing but time and the relays are the same PN#. As for the miss fire... There are some simply things to check/do. If your plug wires are aftermarket, find a set, maybe your friends, and swap them out and see if that cures you miss fire. Honda wire will out perform all the aftermarket wires you can get a the part stores (there are some really high end aftermarket ones out there, but not at your average parts store). Next, if that does not cure your problem, swap out the cap and rotor with know good Honda ones. Next if that does not work, check your plugs, look at the color and determine which cylinder might be miss firing. Replace the plugs with NGK OEM. Next, if still miss firing, take a hose (lets say 1.5 in ID about 2 feet long), and put one end to your ear and the other end next to a fuel injector. Listen to each one one at a time with the car running. You should be able to hear each one "clicking" as they open and close. If you find one that sounds completely different then the others, then you may have a dirty or faulty injector or possibly a faulty injector resistor. If you find this to be a problem, get some BG44K (usually a dealer will have it at the parts counter, try Honda, Subaru, Nissan, etc. as many dealers stock it. Follow the directions on the can, and see if the injector cleans itself up. After all that then you can get into the electrical and fuel diagnostics, but these items are relatively cheap and simple for an average mechanic to do without getting into the full on diagnostics.

Good luck and post back with your findings.

Ok, I had my timing adjusted, New honda rotor button, Honda cap, New NGK plugs, New honda wires. All injectors are clicking, Ran injector cleaner, Also replaced all the parts in above post. And the main relay from my friends car. Still missing. It does it more when the motor warms up. Seems to start better now though. I'm just going to keep the piece of $hit and drive it like I stole it. One day if I win the lotto I may have a mechanic look at it that knows hondas. Thanks to everyone for the help.

I guess the next things I would check for the miss fire would be try swapping your MAP sensor with your friends one from their car to see if the fixes the problem. The crank position sensor might also be malfunctioning (however, it should throw a code). Also, try cleaning the EGR valve and ports. This is "general" maintenance for your/all Hondas. I believe on your engine to clean the ports is simple. Remove the fuel rail, under the fuel rail you should see a plate that is held down by several 10mm head bolts (tech. 6mm bolts). remove those bolts and you will see the EGR channels and the round ports that go into the intake manifold. Use a small drill bit and gently (by hand) clean/open the four ports removing the carbon build-up. Use a flat head screw drive or a pick to clean the channels in the plate. Throtle body cleaner can also be used to help soften the build-up. Also, clean the large intake port that comes from the EGR valve. Then remove the EGR valve and clean both ports on the head as best as you can. A clogged or partially clogged EGR system can cause a missfire or rough running. Both of these things you can try with little to no cost, just time.

To remove the fuel rail, open the gas cap (leave it off until the job is done), crack the service port on the rail, or the banjo to release fuel pressure. Undo the 10mm nuts that screw to the rail mounting posts, then gently pry all four injectors out of the head. Strap the rail back towards the front left of the car so you are able to have access to the EGR ports. NOTE: If you don't have the plate style EGR ports, then the ports would have to be drilled and tapped (this is something that should only be done by someone that works on them, as you can cause damage to the intake). BUT, if you have the plate style, and are comfortable working with the injectors, then it is a simple and quick job with no real cost.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Archived