DIY for interior paneling for 96 manny accord wagon ?

CDelgado

Hi all, I'm have a 1996 accord wagon with manny tranny but I'm looking for a DIY or someone knowledgeable about interior panel/trim removals. I'm trying to do 2 things: 1) Replace an instrument light from the heater/ac fan direction butons and 2) I'm trying to remove the trim/panel to fix the lighter fixture because it's extremely loose. I'm trying to maintain a positive contact with lighter and chargers but it doesn't maitain a good connection due to excessive movement from lighter.

FYI- I've gotten as far as topportion of panel but onceI reach the manny tranny knob I pry and doesn't sound like your 'normal' clips coming off, it soundslike panel is beginning to crack.

:help:

Any helpful DIY or assistance is apprecited. Thank you.

TURN YOUR CAR OFF, LET IT SIT FOR 3 MINUTES or you could inadvertently deploy the SRS.

Take out rear console:

Cup holder first, then the little door under the arm rest. Remove 3 screws and then pull up and back (toward the rear seats). The console should come right out.

Take out front console:

Take out your ash tray, then remove 3 screws and pull back and up. There are 6 retainer clips holding the front console in; if the metal part pops off, pull it out and slide it back on the front console.

Remove all switches from the Instrument Panel:

I find it is easier to remove the Steering Column Lower Cover at this point. It is the plastic that is in front of your knees when you are in the driver seat. The Steering Column Lower Cover covers the metallic Driver's Knee Bolster that is bolted behind it. It is only held in by retainer clips, so just pull on it until it pops out. Then you can reach up under the Instrument Panel and push the switches from behind. Remove the Moonroof/Cruise Control switch, Dash Brightness controller, and the Rear Defogger switch.

Take out Instrument Panel:

Remove the 6 screws holding it in: 1 behind the Moonroof/Cruise Control switch, 1 behind the Dash Brightness controller, 2 above the Gauge Assembly, 2 below the A/C Controls.

The bulbs for the AC and Heater come out with a half-turn.

TURN YOUR CAR OFF, LET IT SIT FOR 3 MINUTES or you could inadvertently deploy the SRS.

Take out rear console:

Cup holder first, then the little door under the arm rest. Remove 3 screws and then pull up and back (toward the rear seats). The console should come right out.

Take out front console:

Take out your ash tray, then remove 3 screws and pull back and up. There are 6 retainer clips holding the front console in; if the metal part pops off, pull it out and slide it back on the front console.

Remove all switches from the Instrument Panel:

I find it is easier to remove the Steering Column Lower Cover at this point. It is the plastic that is in front of your knees when you are in the driver seat. The Steering Column Lower Cover covers the metallic Driver's Knee Bolster that is bolted behind it. It is only held in by retainer clips, so just pull on it until it pops out. Then you can reach up under the Instrument Panel and push the switches from behind. Remove the Moonroof/Cruise Control switch, Dash Brightness controller, and the Rear Defogger switch.

Take out Instrument Panel:

Remove the 6 screws holding it in: 1 behind the Moonroof/Cruise Control switch, 1 behind the Dash Brightness controller, 2 above the Gauge Assembly, 2 below the A/C Controls.

The bulbs for the AC and Heater come out with a half-turn.

Thanks for the response. I'll try it out this weekend.:thumbsup:

Archived