1989 crx hf accelerate and decelerate

gearhead

I have a 1989 honda crx hf, I have just recently had a valve job done, replaced the timing belt, plugs,wires , coil and other minor light mods.

I want to resolve my engine deceleration issue, the car drives and runs great until the check engine light comes on after about 15 or 20 minutes, then it seems like the engine starts slowing down , or decelerating, and it speeds up then down in a jerking pattern. I then pull over , shut off the car , restart it and drive off fine , until the damn check engine light comes on again.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help fix this problem?

a) the check engine light is signalling the start of the problem, it is not in itself the start, or cause, of the problem.

b) if you have a check engine light, you have a corresponding code the explains why the light comes on, obtain this code. If I remember right, 1G CRX Sis had three LEDS on the ECU that you use to pull the codes, this may or may not be the same method you use. You need to do more homework.

• 3 months later...
I have a 1989 honda crx hf, I have just recently had a valve job done, replaced the timing belt, plugs,wires , coil and other minor light mods.

I want to resolve my engine deceleration issue, the car drives and runs great until the check engine light comes on after about 15 or 20 minutes, then it seems like the engine starts slowing down , or decelerating, and it speeds up then down in a jerking pattern. I then pull over , shut off the car , restart it and drive off fine , until the damn check engine light comes on again.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help fix this problem?

haha i just had this same problem with mine.

i drove with it like that for about 2 days, thinking it was nothing serious.

yesterday the engine blew. haha

You might want to get it checked out before you end up like me.

Archived