walbro 255 fuel pump

Miamishatchback02

ok i have a d15z1 block with d16y8 head in stock internals all mottor and it moves quick so iam wondering if by adding my walbro 255 fuel pump instead of my stock one even tough i dont have turbo in my car will this help me or its not good to put this fuel pump on my stock car? or would i have to put bigger injectors and fuel pump together?

there would only be a problem, if your return line on your fuel wasn't big enough stock to outflow the larger amount of fuel that the pump is pumping.

IF the return wasn't big enough, or the pressure regulator couldn't flow enough, it would up the pressure at the injectors, and mess stuff up.

there would only be a problem, if your return line on your fuel wasn't big enough stock to outflow the larger amount of fuel that the pump is pumping.

IF the return wasn't big enough, or the pressure regulator couldn't flow enough, it would up the pressure at the injectors, and mess stuff up.

it should run the same as the fuel pressure regulator is set at a specific pressure. If you have it, it's good to install it now, wouldn't hurt in any way. As far as the injectors go, hold off till you get the turbo in and a management unit as 450cc injectors are to big for the ecu to control stock wise. If your going to spend the money, do it on fuel and timing management. Manifold wise greddy makes one also hks. If your really cheap use an hf manifold with a adapter plate. It will work but not very efficient

Hey, Miamishatch... I'm not trying to be jerk, but I feel something needs to be said. I've been looking at your posts over the last couple weeks- about prepping your car: what turbo, injectors, FMU, fuel pump, so on and so forth. You sound extremely unprepared and uneducated about what you're trying to do. I really, really, really hope that you aren't attempting this alone- if you are, I'd say to stop right now. I've done a lot of work on my car with no previous experience and I learned everything by research- looking up other people's turbo installation guides, also looking at company guides- like turbonetics turbo installation guides. I've done a decent amount of work on my car by myself and I did it by taking my time, learning about everything I was doing and staying within those limits. You need to figure what turbo you're going to use first of all- if you haven't decided, then don't even bother thinking about injectors/FMU/fuel pump and all the other details you might/might not have to worry about when turboing your car.

Figure out what turbo is needed for your application, figure out what boost it needs to run at for its efficiency so you don't blow your motor up. Once you figure that out- then you can determine if you even need bigger injectors/a fuel pump, etc.

To give you an idea: after a lot of internet research and magazine reading, I learned that on my D16 engine, I could put a T3/4 turbo on my car, stock internals, run it at 7-8 PSI safely, add a fixed 12:1 FMU, leave my stock injectors alone and it'll be fine. Now, if I want to push higher boost, then I'd have to upgrade to a stand-alone FMU/ecu, upgrade the injectors, add a fuel pump and build the internals. So, I'm making some decent power without getting into heavy spending...

You need to determine your limits, choose your starting products (what turbo, its efficiency and what PSI you can run) and then figure out the rest- all of that depends on your setup. Asking questions here is great- but your going to get TONS of different opinions and it'll probably leave you more confused than you were- look up cold hard facts, and other people's experiences and trials. I HIGHLY doubt that even 10% of people on here have done any engine or turbo work themselves on their own car and have been 100% successful... so why listen to a bunch of opinions- find out from the people who have actually done it: hell, call up a performance garage and ask them a few questions about your application/setup. I wish you the best as you keep building your car's engine.

As far as reply directly to your question- I can't answer you... it depends on your turbo, and how much boost you're going to be running: for example- if it's a t3/4 and you're running 6 PSI, you don't need a stand-alone FMU/ecu, you don't need a fuel pump and you don't need larger injectors. I hope you understand what I'm saying... otherwise I have no problems sharing my experience/knowledge to help you out.

Hey, Miamishatch... I'm not trying to be jerk, but I feel something needs to be said. I've been looking at your posts over the last couple weeks- about prepping your car: what turbo, injectors, FMU, fuel pump, so on and so forth. You sound extremely unprepared and uneducated about what you're trying to do. I really, really, really hope that you aren't attempting this alone- if you are, I'd say to stop right now. I've done a lot of work on my car with no previous experience and I learned everything by research- looking up other people's turbo installation guides, also looking at company guides- like turbonetics turbo installation guides. I've done a decent amount of work on my car by myself and I did it by taking my time, learning about everything I was doing and staying within those limits. You need to figure what turbo you're going to use first of all- if you haven't decided, then don't even bother thinking about injectors/FMU/fuel pump and all the other details you might/might not have to worry about when turboing your car.

Figure out what turbo is needed for your application, figure out what boost it needs to run at for its efficiency so you don't blow your motor up. Once you figure that out- then you can determine if you even need bigger injectors/a fuel pump, etc.

To give you an idea: after a lot of internet research and magazine reading, I learned that on my D16 engine, I could put a T3/4 turbo on my car, stock internals, run it at 7-8 PSI safely, add a fixed 12:1 FMU, leave my stock injectors alone and it'll be fine. Now, if I want to push higher boost, then I'd have to upgrade to a stand-alone FMU/ecu, upgrade the injectors, add a fuel pump and build the internals. So, I'm making some decent power without getting into heavy spending...

You need to determine your limits, choose your starting products (what turbo, its efficiency and what PSI you can run) and then figure out the rest- all of that depends on your setup. Asking questions here is great- but your going to get TONS of different opinions and it'll probably leave you more confused than you were- look up cold hard facts, and other people's experiences and trials. I HIGHLY doubt that even 10% of people on here have done any engine or turbo work themselves on their own car and have been 100% successful... so why listen to a bunch of opinions- find out from the people who have actually done it: hell, call up a performance garage and ask them a few questions about your application/setup. I wish you the best as you keep building your car's engine.

As far as reply directly to your question- I can't answer you... it depends on your turbo, and how much boost you're going to be running: for example- if it's a t3/4 and you're running 6 PSI, you don't need a stand-alone FMU/ecu, you don't need a fuel pump and you don't need larger injectors. I hope you understand what I'm saying... otherwise I have no problems sharing my experience/knowledge to help you out.

well i have made turbo cars but they had being build as internals so there was no risk of blowing the mottors as i build up my eclipse gst up and did all the work myself but the thing here is that i never turbo a stock motor period and about the things ima use iam trying to figure out aither to use a t25 garret turbo or a t3/t4 .57 trim .63 a/r and i have both in my hands already as well as the fuel pump 255walbro and 450cc jdm injectors and also 550cc jdm injectors and i have a safc whish i use to use on my eclipse to control my injectors the ones i would be using if anything and when it comes to how mutch i want to boost my top is 10psi with a tune up and without tune up run it at 8psi whish i have heard that its safe so u let me know if iam wrong or what

well i have made turbo cars but they had being build as internals so there was no risk of blowing the mottors as i build up my eclipse gst up and did all the work myself but the thing here is that i never turbo a stock motor period and about the things ima use iam trying to figure out aither to use a t25 garret turbo or a t3/t4 .57 trim .63 a/r and i have both in my hands already as well as the fuel pump 255walbro and 450cc jdm injectors and also 550cc jdm injectors and i have a safc whish i use to use on my eclipse to control my injectors the ones i would be using if anything and when it comes to how mutch i want to boost my top is 10psi with a tune up and without tune up run it at 8psi whish i have heard that its safe so u let me know if iam wrong or what

well yeah some people here have never even worked on a vehicle and just transfer stuff from what people say. Well I'm not that guy. I have 10 years experience and are certified by ASE. im on here just to help and get to know people

you may want to get your facts straight before you start talking crap. There is alot of experience on here. Alot of us have done turbo builds, and N/A builds. Hell a i've seen more from SSR and SolLess than i have seen from you.

you may want to get your facts straight before you start talking crap. There is alot of experience on here. Alot of us have done turbo builds, and N/A builds. Hell a i've seen more from SSR and SolLess than i have seen from you.

I'm not talking crap or trying to take anything away from anyone. I'm simply telling him that he needs to determine what is best for HIM- a lot of posts on here is opinion- like when someone asks what brand for exhaust, or what brand coil overs... everyone has different experiences with different products. A lot of people talk about what they know- like said above, but haven't actually done the work and had the experience and that's what I'm referring to. There's a big difference between having experience and doing actual work on cars as opposed to knowing about them, I'm sure you'll agree. Yea, I'm a new member, I happened to come across this site and figured I'd try to help/get help if need be- I've been a member for a few weeks so of course those others (SSR and SolLess) have more posts. The fact is that different people are going to come on here and say, "you should go with a straight T3" or "t25" because everyone has different preferences.

I think he needs to research facts instead of asking everyone on here about everything- because all those opinions aren't going to help him determine what is best for his setup. He needs to figure out what he wants- figure out the characteristics of his turbo, determine what the engine can handle and go from there... I've yet to see anyone post a pros and cons list T3/4 vs. T25. I don't have much expience/knowledge with a T25, which is why I told him about my current setup and what's working for me- I'm not going to knock a T25 because I've never had one, but I'm not going to say that he should go with a T3/4: someone who does have solid knowledge on both that could post the benefits of each should post it- because that's what he needs: not someone's opinion about a turbo, he needs facts... and if someone can't provide that here, then I suggest (like before) he research it or give a call to a performance shop and chat with someone that does those installs pretty often.

Anyway, to be constructive and try to help you out. I've actually run my car at 10PSI a couple times with a T3/4 turbo, and that's stock internals on a 1.6L D16. I pushed it a couple times and noticed the fuel delivery system starts to fail at 10-11PSI (with a 12:1 fixed FMU, stock injectors, AEM fuel rail/regulator, stock fuel pump). With a good tune, and either piggyback or standalone system... you can hit 10PSI for DD. I would suggest if you choose that turbo and run it at that PSI that you definitely put the fuel pump in- especially if it's already in hand (and finish upgrading the delivery system of course)... why not, like hatch said, he's never had any issues.

Like I said, I don't know much about the t25, so if someone else can throw some info. at you it'll help you make a decision.

My T3/4 characteristics are as follows:

Boost starts building around 3300 RPM or so, and reaches full boost at about 4400 RPM (that's 8PSI). It holds boost through my whole powerband and there's plenty more to give. For DD it's perfect because I'm not wasting gas... casually driving I usually shift around 3300-3500 RPM- so it's ideal for me. It runs solid and it's very responsive (dropping gears/flooring it). I hope that helps a little bit about deciding what turbo to put on.

See this is where I disagree with you. If everyone needed first hand knowledge on how something goes together, then EVERYONE would be dumping tons of money into something that possibly won't work. They are just passing on the experience of others, and ometimes first hand experience.

Think about this... if everyone knew nothing about everything, where would we be in society? Or if we had to figure everything out for ourselves, how advanced of a civilization would we be? Why the fu*k did you go to school then? oh yeah, to learn what others before you discovered!

Most people that want to build a good turbo setup, go with what is tried and true, and don't want to waste money experimenting. It is all common knowledge. A works with B well, but put C and B together, and you got nothing.

The real secrets about building engines, and setups is that REAL BUILDERS DON'T SHARE ideas/combos that work WELL. Would you tell joe-shmo for free what you just spend thousands of dollars on, and hundreds of hours on the dyno, tuning, testing, building and designing? hell no, you'd have them pay you for his ideas.

Turbo sizing isn't exactly that difficult if you can read a stinkin compressor map, so I don't really see what your bitching about people not having experience.

See this is where I disagree with you. If everyone needed first hand knowledge on how something goes together, then EVERYONE would be dumping tons of money into something that possibly won't work. They are just passing on the experience of others, and ometimes first hand experience.

Think about this... if everyone knew nothing about everything, where would we be in society? Or if we had to figure everything out for ourselves, how advanced of a civilization would we be? Why the fu*k did you go to school then? oh yeah, to learn what others before you discovered!

Most people that want to build a good turbo setup, go with what is tried and true, and don't want to waste money experimenting. It is all common knowledge. A works with B well, but put C and B together, and you got nothing.

The real secrets about building engines, and setups is that REAL BUILDERS DON'T SHARE ideas/combos that work WELL. Would you tell joe-shmo for free what you just spend thousands of dollars on, and hundreds of hours on the dyno, tuning, testing, building and designing? hell no, you'd have them pay you for his ideas.

Turbo sizing isn't exactly that difficult if you can read a stinkin compressor map, so I don't really see what your bitching about people not having experience.

So:

1. The performance shop I called in CA. (I live in NM- there aren't any I know of here), when I asked them a question or two, they are just a bunch of idiots who are installing turbo systems and blowing people's cars up, right? Because they can't be "real builders" if they share knowledge with me. He's not looking to put together the worlds fastest turbo car (of course they're not going to share all their secrets!)... and if he called a performance shop, I'm pretty sure they'd have to be huge dicks to tell him the wrong things on purpose.

2. I'm pretty sure that when you get first-hand knowledge (key word is KNOWLEDGE), you don't end up dumping your money into something that doesn't work. Knowledge of something would prevent you from doing exactly that, wouldn't it? If I KNEW that slapping a huge turbo on a stock motor and running it unregulated would blow up the engine, I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't do it.

If he builds his knowledge base, by reading articles, installation guides, talking to professionals, etc: then he can make a better determination of what is BEST for him when he goes to a place like this (forums) and gets 5 different opinions... he can take the knowledge he's obtained and use these opinions/ideas to help determine what's best for his application.

By the way, where would he get a compressor map? OH, that's right, by RESEARCHING IT online, or calling/going to a performance shop. I haven't seen anyone post a compression map for both turbo applications yet... so where else would he find it?

The reason I say that is because- you said that he can't put a bigger pump on... but hatch did and hasn't had a problem with it- that can be a bit confusing for someone- to get 2 totally different responses. But, if he has fact , or knowledge, or reasoning behind those opinions:

-You said that he can't do it.

-Hatch said he can do it- and backed it up by saying that he has done it and it works.

Who would you be more apt to believe? Because Hatch has done it, and it works, doesn't that give him credibility and KNOWLEDGE (that it works!)? I guess you're also calling a Hatch a hack at building engines, right? Because he shared some of his knowledge and experience... way to go- you contradicted yourself.

People need to stop taking my comment personally- I didn't direct it at anyone in particular. There are people on here just asking questions or really don't know a whole lot about certain things. If you are familiar with topics such as this, don't get pissed and pretend that I'm calling YOU inexperienced... POST YOUR KNOWLEDGE TO HELP SOMEONE ELSE OUT... holy crap, how hard is that? If you can help, HELP- if you're going to come on here and get in a pissing match about something that doesn't have to do with the topic or question, then don't post! (And I was trying to help with my original post- by saying that he need to research more before determining what he needs to do- you can't decide how big you can build a house unless you know the budget and the space provided first... just like you can't determine injector size/fuel pump/delivery system unless you have an idea of the application = turbo, PSI, efficiency, etc.)

Archived