non-vtec to vtec

joemarsh2004

hi guys, i have a non-vtec del sol which is abolutly lovely condition and drives really well, and i have a vtec del sol that has a dented wing and has few little things wrong with it i.e central locking. so i want the do an engine swap. how hard is it to swap over the ecu's? can u jsut keep all the wiring in them but swap over the ecu's? does the engines have same engine mountings? im a Jaguar/Aston Martin mechanic so i no what im doing but i never gone out and had a look you see and wondering if anyone has done one before and noes any tips? im new to the japan scene you see lol

thanks

joe

engine will bolt right in using the mounts in vtec car obviously. as far as wiring goes , as long as the cars are both OBD1 , your set. take the harness out with the engine , swap it into the other car when you swap. if your a mechanic , you should have no trouble wit this.

where abouts are the ecu's on these? and the bolt placements are in the same places in the chasis of both del sols then? so all that will be needed is connect the wiring for the fuel etc. disconnect coolant and exhaust and fuel lines. then swap them over? do you think you could write a list of what there is to disconnect to do the job? i havent even opend up the vtec's bonnet yet lol

thanks alot

joe

engine will bolt right in using the mounts in vtec car obviously. as far as wiring goes , as long as the cars are both OBD1 , your set. take the harness out with the engine , swap it into the other car when you swap. if your a mechanic , you should have no trouble wit this.

The swap is straight forward and very easy. As far as wiring goes use the same exact wiring harness in the vehicle you are swaping the engine into and just add the 2 wires for the vtec. Happy revving

The swap is straight forward and very easy. As far as wiring goes use the same exact wiring harness in the vehicle you are swaping the engine into and just add the 2 wires for the vtec. Happy revving

cheers mate big help, do u think u could post pics of the 2 vtec wires? and where i change the ecu's are i have to change over?

cheers

joe

so its easier just to transfer over all the engine bay wiring and ecu? or just find the vtec loom part and take that over and swap ecu's?

thanks

joe

Are you swaping a non vtec sohc for a vtec sohc or a dohc? If it's the dohc you will need to add the 3 wires cranny was taling about. I was directing you on a sohc vtec swap. I perfer to add the extra wires as to avoid unhooking the whole loom from the engine bay to the ecu when he can plug his original harness in as how he took it off and then add the wires that are missing. Cranny, can you give him the pin locations and maybe some pics, i'm a noob when it comes to putting pics on here. Thanks man

he said del sol vtec horse , so i assumed it was a B16 he was talking about. maybe im wrong. really doesnt mate , it will stil be cleaner if he swaps the harness's out , not a big job at all once the engine is out. no pinning no wires or nothing , total plug and play. but , lol:

A4 is vtec solenoid.

D3 is knock sensor.

D6 is pressue switch. the 2nd wire off the pressure switch goes to ground. with key on , you should have a constant 12v at the pressure switch.

i now see what you were talking about horse with the OBD2A and B plugs being different , your right dude , i was wrong , i misunderstood. sorry about that.

ah right kk ill be starting in a few days time, today i went to look at the abs sensors and change front pdas(well went to buy some and they had to roder them in for me) so made a start got old ones out. bout .5mm away from bare metal, thats no good! discs are pretty much new though no grrove on them yet or a lip, non at all in fact, so checked back pads they got bout 1.2cm on em left so thats ok. Are any of you on here from england? i noticed that most are American on here. i will post pics of my swap and my car soon when the front splitters are on. Tomrows job will be cleaning all teh ABS sensors and fitting new front pads. O yeah question: are your lights really dim or is that just me? mine are AWFULL and all my lights are on i think i might needs some new double filment bulbs in ther.

he said del sol vtec horse , so i assumed it was a B16 he was talking about. maybe im wrong. really doesnt mate , it will stil be cleaner if he swaps the harness's out , not a big job at all once the engine is out. no pinning no wires or nothing , total plug and play. but , lol:

A4 is vtec solenoid.

D3 is knock sensor.

D6 is pressue switch. the 2nd wire off the pressure switch goes to ground. with key on , you should have a constant 12v at the pressure switch.

i now see what you were talking about horse with the OBD2A and B plugs being different , your right dude , i was wrong , i misunderstood. sorry about that.

they also had the d16z6 sohc vtec in the sol. Thanks for the pin locations. 2 wires added if doing just the sohc vtec if the dohc 3 wires

Archived