Vtec problems

Kyle H.

Hello, I'm new to this forum so forgive me if i'm not doing it right. I have a problem with my accords vtec system. It doesn't work, it doesn't have any trouble codes or check engine light. I have replaced the thermostat because it was stuck open causing the car to run in open loop because it never got to operating temperature, I thought that was the problem and it wasn't. I've also ran a wire from the connector on the vtec solenoid inside the care to my test meter, at the rpm which vtec is supposed to start working(4800) it shows 1.08-1.10 volts. The vtec solenoid is functional, the oil pressure sensor tests good, it is full of clean oil, and I am all out of ideas. All tips and suggestions are appreciated.

from what i have heard there is a screen in the vtec solenoid (spelling) that helps keep metal out of the solenoid. that could be clogged. how many miles are on the car.

Well I thought about that and i'm sure it needs to be cleaned/replaced, but before I started tearing it apart I wanted to figure out why the solenoid isn't getting voltage. Even if the screen is clogged the PCM should still open the solenoid right? The car has 226,000+, but it has been cared for, so it's not junk.

you absolutely should be getting an engine light if vtec is not functioning properly for any reason. if you know someone with an OBD reader , fire it on and see what it says. tap a test light into the wire for the engine light at the ecu for craps and giggles.

you absolutely should be getting an engine light if vtec is not functioning properly for any reason. if you know someone with an OBD reader , fire it on and see what it says. tap a test light into the wire for the engine light at the ecu for craps and giggles.

yeah use a test light and see if it lights up when vtec comes on. Also can use a volt meter to be accurate as far as voltage. If there is 0volts and when it comes it only shows less than 12 volts the you might have a grounding issue (loose or corroded or damage). Let me know what you find

I've got a snap-on scanner at work, and it shows no problems whatsoever, check engine light is good. It lights up when you turn the key, and also when you leave something unplugged. I did wire my test meter to the solenoid wire directly on the connector, and the most I have ever got is 1.08-1.10 volts. I'm starting to think it's a ECU problem, it just doesn't seem to turn it on.

I've got a snap-on scanner at work, and it shows no problems whatsoever, check engine light is good. It lights up when you turn the key, and also when you leave something unplugged. I did wire my test meter to the solenoid wire directly on the connector, and the most I have ever got is 1.08-1.10 volts. I'm starting to think it's a ECU problem, it just doesn't seem to turn it on.

well swap a good ecu in to it and see if you get the same voltage from the output, if you do it is something else. Grounds!

Archived