Question on a gain of hp

Prangy

I have the d16z6 head and found a website that does head called d h racing and a friend of mine bought a head off of there. They do basically all you need to the head with new springs, valves, and retainers. Now my question is if the head is port and polished what do you think an average gain of hp can be. I am not really buying it for the hp gain, but more for just a new head and I feel it will work better with the turbo. I was thinking a port and polished head gives like 20?? Thanks guys

if its cheaper i would just price how much the headwork is at a machine shop and buy a new one from napa or something if it's cheaper. however a port a polish is always good if your building a motor so i'd go with what ever you can afford now or get a stock one now and get it worked later.

whats wrong with the head you have?

Nothing just thought a new head with a port and polish would help out a little. I have built everything else basically. Just to be on the safe side to if I ever plan on running higher boost. The head with everything done to it is only 850 which is pretty cheap compared to some prices I have seen. One of my friend's friends had a head from this d h racing and it worked good. The only thing i will have to do is swap the camshaft from one to the other because i wont ahve the money for a new camshaft.

I have the d16z6 head and found a website that does head called d h racing and a friend of mine bought a head off of there. They do basically all you need to the head with new springs, valves, and retainers. Now my question is if the head is port and polished what do you think an average gain of hp can be. I am not really buying it for the hp gain, but more for just a new head and I feel it will work better with the turbo. I was thinking a port and polished head gives like 20?? Thanks guys

i agree with hatch92. i think you'll only see 6-10. but it will breath alot better and you'll notice the difference threw out the powerband.

i agree with hatch92. i think you'll only see 6-10. but it will breath alot better and you'll notice the difference threw out the powerband.

Yes you will get a difference throughout the powerband. As far as how much depends on tuning. If you don't add the extra fuel in with the extra air then it will be pointless. D-H racing has been around the game since the mid to late 90's. He does awesome work. You need to find out if the 850 includes a core as you might have to provide one or pay extra. If your not looking for more performance out of the head and just want a fresh head, it would be cheaper to just rebuild what you have. He also does that and other shops usually charge from 350- on up for a valve job. You probably will even feel a difference with a fresh head as you don't know the condition of the valve job in your old head. Do a leakdown test on your motor to determine the condition on your motor first. Hope that helps.

Archived