Stripped Valve cover bolts

Prangy

Again I am back and was wondering this. I tightened the valve cover bolts to hard makeing the threads on the inside basically just come out. The bolts are fine. Now I was wondering, I have never done helicoil, you can jsut buy like a kit from a local store I have heard? Any of you ever done it how is it on a scale of hardness? Was also wondering this, the thread is only stripeed towards the bottom so it doesn't tighten, but the bolt goes all the way in. Would it be possible to just shave about an 1/8 of an inch off the bolt so it doesnt need to go all the way down to the bad thread? Thanks buddos

wont help. that hole is fuked. thats a bad thing you did prangy , lol. if you know anyone with taps , run run in and out of the hole a few times , might somewhat bring it back to life. they dont need to be tight at all dude.

ooo damn i am screwed haha... well i guess I will just go buy a set. Ok now the quesiton is the bolts are 10mm so will i have to use bigger bolts then?? and your not suggesting helicoil i take it?? Dude ur the man

yes , youd be bumping up to a 12mm id say now. you might have to drill the holes out bigger in the grommets as well for the bolts to get through them , no biggie though. unfortunately , this is your best option my man. just drill the hole out to the proper size(just read about them , youl learn how they work) , run the tap into the hole straight , all the way down. run it in the hole a few times , use a vacuum at same time to catch metal grinds , do not let them get into the engine.

Kk and the grommets are the ?? rubber pieces or the whole through the valve cover. You know your words. Um... can i use just any plan 12mm bolt from the hardware store then? or do i have to get one that looks like the ones taht are already in there? I figure just any kind. Thanks man at least i get to buy a tap and die set now.

i need a tap and die set too , one tool i still dont have. not any bolt will do , make sure you tap the hole with the threads that are common to hondas. which would be 10mm x 1.25 thread. 10mm is not the head size , its the thread diameter , and 1.25 is the thread gap.

haha i kno this sounds bad can you just make a list in what order i have to do things and sizes and crap i am bad at this i am a nervous one. So the thread in tehre is smaller then 10mm*1.25 or that is the size and i have to drill it bigger then that? Sorry i sound like such an idiot i just dont want to f up u kno.

right now , the bolt that is supposed to be in the hole is 8mm x 1.25. you need to make the hole hold a 10mm x 1.25. google how it works and youl be fine dude. dont make stuff complicated in your head.

Sorry to do this again but I have been reading and it says before you tap you should have a hole drilled and it says there is like a specific hole size for each tap size. I have been looking for charts for 15 mintues but nothing. Any idea mate?

im pretty sure the tap and die set will have such a chart. i think im off a bit in my sizes dude. i think a 10mm bolt is 6mm x 1.00 , not 8mm x 1.25. and a 12mm bolt found on hondas is 8mm x 1.25. meaning the hole you need to make is for an 8mm x 1.25 tap , not 10mm x 1.25.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taps_and_dies

Haha alrighty thanks man i always for get about damn wiki always. So I looked at the chart and will go by the 8*1.25. I will tell you how it goes I may not do it today, i will do it tomorrow then and tell you. Ok so you basically just taught me now the 6 is mm in daimeter right?? and then the 1.00 is the thread? I have never learned bolts and threads I think i am going to look into this more.

omg omg gomg i did it cranny i am a true tapper man now. It was easy to so i stopped that oil leak haha. So i look under my car and my fing oil pan is leaking so i am going to tighten the botls on that and see if that helps. I just redid that to because it was leaking. At least it looks like it is I am going to wait and see how my oil level is becuase it might have been the oil coming out of the valve cover because there was no bolt holding the front down at all and it was really leaking. I hope that is what it was oil pans are just gay without a lift. Thanks so much agian man i am sure I will need you again, but you are the man.

Archived