Head rebuild

Prangy

I was looking at doing a head rebuild in about two months. I know you need to get retainers, valves, and springs. I was looking at goign all skunk two for all of that. Any suggestions or any bad thoughts on that? You think I should just have a shop do that, or would that be pretty basic. What else actually can I do to the head to get a little more horse I am not sure, but you can get them bored out more right? Thanks my loves

get a street port , throw new stainless valves in it with whatever tickles your fancy brand of springs and retainers. port match your head with your intake manifold , 3 angle valve grind. polish the exhaust runners till they are like chrome. done. you can put oversize valves and other things to a head , but forget it.

dissassemble the head yourself. borrow a valve comressor , drop them all out. take bare head into machine shop , tell them what you want done , bring new parts with you of course. idk dude , depends where you go. be at least a grand im assuming.

the machine shop here in AK runs about $1100 for a complete job ie: new valves, 3 face valve job, new springs, retainers, full port and polish, and chamber work. thats all the guy told me but i'm sure they do a little more.

• 2 weeks later...
wow , thats a good deal really if they do good work. good price.

well depends on how extensive you want to go into the head. You would be amazed on how many customers I get that want all these parts in there head because there friends have done it. Or they want to change out the valves because they want aftermarket everything. Honda stuff is real good stuff and at times the valves just need a quick clean up and a nice valve job on the seats. I remember this one customer who brought me his head and all I did was a fresh valve job ( I did some different angles on it) and just blueprinted the head. He came back to me and was impressed on how mush power he felt compared to before. he asked what I did and he was shocked. A good valve job from me (stock rebuild) is roughly around 350 up to 500 depending on how much parts are out of spec (spring pressures , guides, etc.) Porting will help alot but need to know what the intentions are of the motor and be realistic. Skunk2 makes good parts. Some stock parts are good. Don't replace parts unless you are going to exceed the power levels the parts can handle. The money you save from keeping the stock valves and springs can go towards hondata or something else. Don't lose sight of the goals you set forth

Archived