Need Help on 86' Civic Si Idle problem

kingturbo

I just bought a 1986 Civic Si and it runs great. When I start up the car in the morning it idles high for about 3-4 minutes just fine. There after the idle starts to jump around. It acts like it wants to come off fast idle and drops under 1000 rpm's, then jumps up like I blipped the throttle up to 2000 rpm's and then drops again and repeats over and over again. I work an hour away from home and take the interstate 70 mph +. When I arrived at work the car is still has the idle that fluctuates. This is my first Honda and I like it a lot. The car is a 5-speed and has 176,XXX. I am very mechanical and would appreciate any help. Thanks

I just bought a 1986 Civic Si and it runs great. When I start up the car in the morning it idles high for about 3-4 minutes just fine. There after the idle starts to jump around. It acts like it wants to come off fast idle and drops under 1000 rpm's, then jumps up like I blipped the throttle up to 2000 rpm's and then drops again and repeats over and over again. I work an hour away from home and take the interstate 70 mph +. When I arrived at work the car is still has the idle that fluctuates. This is my first Honda and I like it a lot. The car is a 5-speed and has 176,XXX. I am very mechanical and would appreciate any help. Thanks

Need to check the idle air control valve. It's either gunked up and needs cleaned, or replaced.

Archived