My friend's 95 Civc hatch needs help

Don Pisto

This may be more audio related, but I'm figuring it has to do with some wiring that may be non audio related. I'll break it down in the simplest way I can.

1. He had a mono amp hooked up prior to bringing the vehicle to me and it worked just fine.

2. I ran new wires from speakers to be used on a 4 channel amplifier.

3. I had an amplifier I bought off eBay and wanted to make sure it worked and it did so I disconnected it.

4. He put back in the HU, it would turn on but there was no audio (not even from the sub amp which was working just fine before).

5. Today, the head unit won't even power on.

6. I hooked up the head unit directly to the battery and it powers on just fine.

7. His clock is a little dim as well.

I'm guessing there is a wire that is loose somewhere or somehow disconnected, but I'm not sure what wire it would be.

As for checking fuses, well I checked them at the battery, under dash, under hood, on wiring harness, and amplifiers, and all were fine. His battery is in the trunk, doesn't have one up front.

Any ideas?

The sound issue maybe the RCA's. Did you plug them back in after you re-installed the amp? When you went directly to the battery did you have a fuse on the power wire? I ask this because you could have fried the audio outs in the deck.

The sound issue maybe the RCA's. Did you plug them back in after you re-installed the amp? When you went directly to the battery did you have a fuse on the power wire? I ask this because you could have fried the audio outs in the deck.

When connecting to the battery, it did have a fuse. But the RCA's shouldn't matter, the unit won't turn on and it should regardless of RCA's being connected.

Make sure his battery is good, then check all the wires going to the headunit and see if they are disconnected or if any are grounding out.

Battery works fine, rests at 12.8V with vehicle off and is in low to mid 14's while on. Wiring harness is connected properly, possibly stock wiring but it looks fine.

gotta be loose wires dude. go over the entire install , im sure youl find all the problems. make sure you have no speaker wires polarity reversed , alot of people think it doesnt matter , it very much does.

I just told him to take it to a shop and i'll only charge him for the wiring im selling him. its definitely a wiring issue, i just dont know where. Im gonna check a couple more things out saturday to see if it works. I think i may have screwed up on the wiring myself. Been having some major stress and it was late so made it difficult so I think it may be something with the remote wire and radio wire, but ill check. Thanks for the input, i'll let you guys know how it goes. I'm just glad I dont have this problem with Accord, super easy install in that.

Archived