2003 pilot

So I have 2 issues with my Pilot. Pilot is an '03 with 80,000 miles.

First problem:

The rear A/C has stopped working. The power lights is illuminated but there is no air flow from either the A/C vents or the floor vents. It doesn't heat or cool. Any ideas?

Second problem:

I have radio noise which makes the headphones unusable for the factory installed DVD system. After a few minutes of having the radio on a buzzing sound comes through the speakers. It's tolerable unless you are trying to use the headphones (either wireless or wired) in which case all you hear is a loud squelch. I'd like to pull the radio and see if something has come loose or something but I'm afraid of breaking something. There are no screwes holding the dash together. Thoughts on this?

First Problem:

Your Air Recirculation Blower is not functioning. Either there is no voltage to the motor or the current is insufficient. I do not know enough about the circuit to give greater detail, but I am fighting the same problem in my Honda.

Second Problem:

More specifically, it sounds like you have Radio Frequency (RF) noise. Honda systems often incorporate an RF Filter. Somehow, either the filter is not functioning or the amount of noise in the wiring is beyond the capacity of the filter. Since the filter is your basic High-Pass/Low-Pass style diode setup, I can imagine it would be a weak link. On the other hand, if somewhere in the system a poorly insulated wire is being exposed to RF noise, or insulation has been compromised, this would account for the noise. I would not be able give you any more detail beyond that.

Sorry I could not give anything beyond a quick how, rather than the more useful why.

I've heard a lot of Pilots having issues with their A/C. I test drove and '06 last Fall and it had a problem even then (sounded like a motorcycle was attached to the back end). I'd maybe check and see if there hasn't been a recall for anything on your A/C before you take things into your own hands, but that's just me...

Archived