Honda Odyssey/VSA in snow and ice

Hi, I am a new Honda owner and this is my first post! :drool:

I am posting becuase I am having a bit of buyer's remorse...I just bought a 2007 Odyssey EX-L over the Sienna and its AWD. My main buying criteria were safety, positive industry reviews and value/price. We sold our 4wd SUV to get the minivan, so now our family is without 4wd (or AWD for that matter). We live in Seattle, on a big hill, so the SUV came in handy for those couple of dozen days or so a year where things are really slick (ice, freezing slush, snow) and we wanted to venture out of the house and move the kids around with some control.

I have read that AWD doesn't help much anyway in the snow and ice (except for getting moving), but I am looking for someone to give me some insight on whether I now am compromised in bad weather and what I should do now with my Odyssey when the weather turns bad. I want to be thrilled with my decision to go with the Odyssey over the Sienna, but on the topic of safety in snowy or icy weather I am feeling like I need a little encouragement! Should I buy four snow tires and in late November just put them on and keep them through winter? Should I just leave my facotry Michelins on and just buy chains and put them on (all 4 wheel) for just those few bad days? Should I sell my Odyssey and get the Sienna (hope not!)? Will VSA help in the over- and under-steering and give us meaningful protection in the snow and ice...and to the point where I don't need snow tires or chains? Help..someone!!

Thanks in advance for any insight.

cbifo

Should keep your Odyssey,.. The VSA will definitely improve the dynamic stability of the car when things gets out of shape.. I suggest you to purchase proper snow tires when travelling with the family..

Good luck and welcome to the forum..

Archived