trying to turbo an F23A.....

misterd0505

hey guys what's up... this topic has probably been discussed before, but i couldn't find it.....

i've got a 99 Accord F23A, and i wanna turbo it... there's PLENTY of room as i'm sure all of you know, but i've run into a few problems i need help with....

1. The compression ratio on this engine is too high. i'm not sure exactly, but i think it's like 10.5-1... i was thinking of having a machine shop make me an aluminum deck plate, but i don't know how thick. i did talk to some kid that is pushing 20 through a Jetta VR6 which has high compression, and he told me he just stacked a few head gaskets... any ideas?

2. i heard that it's not good to turbo a honda that is VTEC... something with it screwing up the turbo or something like that... is that true? and if so, what's the easiest way to bypass VTEC....

thanks guys... any info would be greatly appreciated.>_<

1. your compression is fine to run boost on.

2. the reason to not boost a vtec motor is because of the valve overlap used for scavenging. you will just push fuel and air out of the motor for less then a sec.

how much boost are you looking to run?

well i have a spare and i was planning on building... i know the valves and springs from an F22 will go in, but i haven't been able to find forged pistons/connecting rods... if i have forged internals what would be safe boost to run?

well i have a spare and i was planning on building... i know the valves and springs from an F22 will go in, but i haven't been able to find forged pistons/connecting rods... if i have forged internals what would be safe boost to run?

That would depend on the internals, but you could probably go 12 psi or so. I wouldn't scoff at 8, I don't think you know just how much power that adds.

8 psi would definately be a good start.

6th Gen Accord Turbo Guide

Surf around 6thgenaccord.com for a while and you'll probably find lots of useful information for a turbo on an f23, and different routes you can take from more people who have done it. I would recommend directing questions to retroshark, although he appears to have disappeared as of lately. There are several others who could answer major questions for a turbo on a f23 as well...

okay, so here's the list i've put together... let me know what you think or if i'm missing anything.....

Turbonetics T3 Turbo

Turbonetics Evolution Wastegate

Turbonetics Manifold

RC 440cc Injectors

Skunk2 Valves (from an F22)

Skunk2 Titanium Retainers (from an F22)

Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump

Nopi Stage 5 Clutch

Nopi Flywheel

HKS Super SQV BOV

Turbonetics 0-10 psi boost controller

Pistons, Connecting Rods, and Valve springs I haven't been able to find yet