CIVIC 2005 Hybrid Batteries

soundlubber

So far so good. 37mpg everyday driving to a maximum of 51mpg highway on a long trip. Hitting the second year mark though on the 'ole 2005 Hybrid. Everyone keeps downing the technology. The best one is "What happens to the whole battery pack if a AA battery in the middle of the array quits"? In addition<is it covered or does the whole performance of the vehicle go downhill one cell at a time. All I know is the Battery Assist Pack is covered for 80,000 miles against defects. I really don't know if they are AA's strapped together or D cells. I believe they are NiMH not NiCd (which helps me sleep better). Then comes the bigger question....keep it after the 80,000 or replace the pack. Guess the cost factor will determine that question....as well as the price/gallon. Anyone have any information helpful about this battery assist package and it's protections or feedback in case of a failure?

So far so good. 37mpg everyday driving to a maximum of 51mpg highway on a long trip. Hitting the second year mark though on the 'ole 2005 Hybrid. Everyone keeps downing the technology. The best one is "What happens to the whole battery pack if a AA battery in the middle of the array quits"? In addition<is it covered or does the whole performance of the vehicle go downhill one cell at a time. All I know is the Battery Assist Pack is covered for 80,000 miles against defects. I really don't know if they are AA's strapped together or D cells. I believe they are NiMH not NiCd (which helps me sleep better). Then comes the bigger question....keep it after the 80,000 or replace the pack. Guess the cost factor will determine that question....as well as the price/gallon. Anyone have any information helpful about this battery assist package and it's protections or feedback in case of a failure?

The batteries are NiMH cells. I highly doubt they're AAs or even Ds. More likely car sized cells. As with all things I wouldn't worry about replacing them until they need replaced.

The batteries are NiMH cells. I highly doubt they're AAs or even Ds. More likely car sized cells. As with all things I wouldn't worry about replacing them until they need replaced.

Thanks for the reply! I think the batteries are small in nature-only because the electric assist motor runs at 100Vts or more. This would imply that some array had to be configured to get to that voltage and make them somehow sizeable to be located behind the seat. It's good to know the cells are NiMH! I can't imagine an 8 yr warranty on another type.

Archived