88 CRX Si Clunking

Uptown

From a standing start I hear a clunk and it feels as if the engine is lifting up and slamming down. It happens also when you shift from first to second or let off the gas abruptly in first or second. I suspect motor mounts but how do I know for sure without taking them out. The bottom front mount or stablizer on the passenger side was loose but even tightened it is real sloppy.

sounds likeyour motor mounts are worn.check the mounting bolts.My neighbor had the same problem when he accelerated and shifts.come to find out one of the bolts loosened itself out.check the mounts.

• 3 weeks later...

Stick it in neutral and rev it. If you see your engine move up and down a lot. Then I would consider taking them out. It's not that hard either, so just check them. If you go too long, you could mess up your setup.

• 3 weeks later...

The left side tranny mount was loose. The person that did the swap cut a square hole cut out of the bracket and installed a nut/bolt on the mount only so it just sits inside of the bracket. Any reason why he didn't just fasten the mount to the bracket using the stud on the mount and a bolt on the other hole with the nut on the bolt from under the bracket and a nut on the stud? Or, is the bracket different on a D16A6 versus the SOHC ZC?

Anyway, I went ahead and ordered the mount bracket, a new mount, bolts, etc. so I can put it all back the way it should be, and using a jack with a 2x4 under the tranny to lift it back up and fasten the bolt through the mount onto the frame. I only hope the two motors are identical.

Archived