coolant problems

stevetweis

okay so normally my temperature gage reads right at the C... last night on an hour ride home it read half way between the C and the H. When I got home I popped the hood, I heard bubbling coming from what im assuming was the overflow. I let it sit for a little while and opened it up and added coolant. It took about a half gallon. It was dark but I noticed that coolant was sprayed all throughout the engine bay. Alot of it burned off when I started up the car. I couldn't find a leak or a blown hose anywhere. Today I took it out and rode it pretty hard to try to get it hot, but the temp gage wouldn't move, I didn't have any problems with it at all today. Maybe it sprung a leak somewhere? I'm not even sure, any ideas?

Thanks

That's odd.

I was actually just talking to my neighbor about stuff like that as I added coolant to my car. He had something like that happen but without the spray all over the engine. Just started overheating and he needed to add a lot of coolant. Then it never was a problem again.

Maybe these things just happen.

That's odd.

I was actually just talking to my neighbor about stuff like that as I added coolant to my car. He had something like that happen but without the spray all over the engine. Just started overheating and he needed to add a lot of coolant. Then it never was a problem again.

Maybe these things just happen.

just flushed and replaced my radiator. without leaking coolant can be going two places:

your engine: you would see smoke in the exhaust and milky white coolant in your oil if bad enough of a leak

atmosphere: could be as simple as your radiator cap. if you use unmixed coolant your cap will corrode and stick and as it cools down and loses pressure the cap gasket sticks and allows for the overheat liquid to escape and flash.

check your heater core. that could be leaking and dumping coolant in compartment and next time you wake in the morning(after it cools) you will find a 1/2 gallon in the passenger floorboard. To check it run your system with the heat on wide blast, if your engine is running hot this should help to drop your temps and cook your balls too! if the core is leaking or plugged it will either leak in the car or not reduce your temps

Archived