Brakes, I need bigger

Trepid

I am in the market for a big brake kit and I'm pretty sure that I'm gonna go with AEM. My question is, I looked at their site and they only have the rear conversion kit from drum to disk for the EX. What is the difference between the LX and the EX as far as that is concerned. I want the rear disk on my lx so what do I have to do?

Civic EX Rear Disc Brake

Conversion System

AEM's Rear Disc Brake Conversion System is the only 100-percent bolt-on, drum-to-disc conversion system on the market for Hondas.This system includes AEM and Honda O.E components, a complete premium hardware kit and comprehensive instructions, and is a cost-effective alternative to swapping the rear end of a Civic to achieve four-wheel disc brakes.

trepid, my man, im glad you asked. we all know that i know everything (haha) so let me throw my 2 cents in here.

AEM brakes SUCK. SCC put the AEM big brake kit on a 2002 RSX-S, and they performed WORSE than stock.

if you do want a big brake kit, look no further than wilwood. those kits actually perform. the AEM brakes are for show cars.

im still not done.

cross drilled/slotted rotors have problems with warping. its just the way it is. on top of that, the wilwood caliper needs to be rebuild about once a year, because it is a full on race kit. so, what do i recommend?

5 lug. from either the civic-R or USDM integra-R. you need to stay away from JDM integra-R 5 lugs, because they are built for 36mm axles (instead of 32mm like everything else)

why 5 lug- first of all, its OEM. im sure the techs at honda put a whole lot more design into the braking system, then say, AEM did. second, it is reliable, and cheap to maintain. you can get brembo blank rotors at autozone for 20 bucks each, and they will actually outperform cross drilled/slotted rotors, because a solid rotor has more surface area.

also, cost. you can get all 4 discs, calipers, arms, and everything you need to bolt the 5 lug system onto your civic, for less than an AEM or wilwood kit.

and if you want ultimate brakes, pick yourself up some Spoon calipers. they are made specifically for 5 lug brakes.

hope this helped

ok, the aem kit sucks... what about just the rotors? I really like the way the new carbon black ones look. I guess I'll look into these other kits for now, I do not think that I could afford the 5 lug conversion just yet, a friend of mine just did that and it cost him about $1500, not anywhere near what I could afford

• 3 months later...

i have a new and unused Baer BBK for sale...more for show, since they are heavier, but the 12.5" drilled and slotted rotors are beautiful! Unfotunately, they don't fit the profile of my 16" VS-04s...make me an offer if you're interested. mcsinc@silk.net

arent the cross drilled and slotted mainly used for heat dispersment and weight reduction? wouldnt stock autozone rotors defeat the purpouse of buying new brakes and converting? well for the front at least... just asking, cause i want to do the same conversion... :)

Archived